1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Speakers or amplifier?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Arkless Electronics, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

The thing is that even at my age my wife and I go to a lot of live performances. I like to have a seat at a live venue in my own home. Sometimes the seat at home is better than actually being at a live venue!

Cheers,

DV

2. Zombie

Zombie pfm Member

Must be the speakers, because allegedly all amplifiers sound the same if driven within their limits.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  3. mattgbell

mattgbell Help the elderly and unwell!

In the world of speakers “decent neutrality” is very hard to find. All speakers are prone to huge non-linear distortions (in comparison with the relatively tiny non-linear distortions of amps). See the work of Klippel.

4. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

Speakers, they have by far the biggest effect on the sonic signature (and therefore subjective sound quality) of a system. I do however firmly believe that every part of the system is important.

5. TimF

TimF pfm Member

I always thought it was all about VU meters....

Zombie likes this.
  6. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I think you mean rugs.

TimF likes this.
  7. matt j

matt j pfm Member

From hearing quite a few systems over the years, it would seem a lot of people only care about the amp going up to eleven.

sunbeamgls likes this.
  8. sunbeamgls

sunbeamgls pfm Member

In order of priority for information retreival:
    Recording
    Source
    Amp
    Speakers

In order of priority for character / flavour of the sound:
    Speakers and their interaction with the room

You'll see from the above that what you need to achieve is the right balance between these conflicting issues for you, your room and your budget.
    Anyone who gives a definitive A or B answer is working from dogma rather than experiential listening.
    Also, anyone who gives a seemingly definitive answer about budget apportioning is giving questionable advice. There is, IMHO, little correlation between the ability to convey a musical message and the price tag. This is what makes the hobby equal parts fascinating and frustrating.

Weekender likes this.
  9. sunbeamgls

sunbeamgls pfm Member

Interesting.
    But which has the biggest impact on the music?

10. sunbeamgls

sunbeamgls pfm Member

Please let me know about this £200 perfect source. What is it?

11. sunbeamgls

sunbeamgls pfm Member

Equally, if you'd had a poor source, they could've been a massive disappointment. To start from a great source and then buy speakers that make a huge improvement is validating the choice of a great source that enables your speakers to shine.
    To conclude, from this example, that speakers are most important is not a logical conclusion.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  12. sunbeamgls

sunbeamgls pfm Member

Does using such extremes help the discussion?

13. sunbeamgls

sunbeamgls pfm Member

You use only terms that describe the character of the sound of a system. In this case I would suggest that a speaker change would be of more value to you.
    If you'd used terms applying to the musical message and the emotion conveyed by the music, the answer would be about a source first system.
    By this I mean the musical capability of the components and not the price. I also mean proportionate considerations and not how some people would interpret source first which I would characterise as source at all costs which ends up with an extremely capable source which passes its contribution down the line to components that throw away much of what the source has extracted from the recording.

14. Musicraft

Musicraft Trade: Musicraft

A subwoofer.

15. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

The speakers, each bring a different musical enjoyment to the music depending on what type of music I play and the mood I am in.

16. matt j

matt j pfm Member

No idea.

sunbeamgls likes this.
  17. sunbeamgls

sunbeamgls pfm Member

Wow. That's a lot of work to change speakers depending on the music and mood. That must be a number of possible combinations approaching the infinite.

18. cjyosemite

cjyosemite pfm Member

The Music

19. PBB

PBB pfm Member

Speakers.

20. joe9407

joe9407 actress/activist

i resemble this remark...

despite the fact that experiments with speaker positioning have yielded some of the biggest sonic gains i've experienced, my NYC living room won't accommodate a delicious-measuring pair of giant Revels, so i muddle through with small 2-way floorstanders and spend my dosh on the deck and boxes. (my DeVore Gibbons have a nice, rich balance -- especially at the low volume levels i can get away with given the neighbors -- so i can't protest too much.)