1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Speakers with light bass

Discussion in 'audio' started by zippy, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Parametric eq....

cubastreet likes this.
  2. fatmarley

fatmarley Registered User

Yes, and that's why quite a few suggested sealed speakers.

3. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

100 Hz is not coming from the room length and width. You need to have a play with REW to see what is really going on. Small ported speakers are likely to make things worse if the port output hits that resonance.

tuga likes this.
  4. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

I have a similar problem in my smaller room if set up the way you have them placed, move them in from side walls, accentuates boom by a large degree IME if close to side walls, this will at least allow a more solid, cleaner bottom end, try angle too, all speakers react differently to rooms so best to experiment, I decided on stand mounts in my room, tighter, punchier, without losing involvement, Royd Eden would sort you out, ported but well controlled & defined bass, great little speakers, you could also think of trying the little Rega RS3 speakers, another great little design.

5. zippy

zippy pfm Member

2.4 m to ceiling, lightweight block walls (plastered), lots of windows and doors !

Whaleblue: I'm not just going by what I hear, I have done a frequency analysis (REW) which clearly shows excessive bass around 100 Hz

6. Hcanning

Hcanning Well-Known Member

Have you tried activating the Kefs' boundary compensation? If you undo the bottom (I think) binding posts and unscrew and reverse the inner grub screw, it changes the crossover to roll off the bass sooner.

7. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

For me the best speakers I have ever owned with limited bass are Audio Note AX2. Wonderful things if you forgive this area.

8. Hayche

Hayche pfm Member

What amplification are you using? Some hybrids/valves can hit hard at 100hz

9. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

Neat Motive2s? I've replaced mine with something that offered a bit more bass in my room...

10. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

I used a Sugden Amp and some Eastern Electric Valve amps with the AX2s. You can drive them with a cats fart.

Cereal Killer and fatmarley like this.
  11. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Which is close to 50% Length and Width, so expect major resonance at 60Hz.

12. Whaleblue

Whaleblue The Mighty Deoxitiser

Hmm, that’s most odd, though of course all things are possible with each room’s distinctive characteristics.

Given what you say, bass light speakers (light at 100hz) are going to be hard to find I’d imagine. Did you say whether you’d experimented with seating position? 50cm back or, more likely forward, may have an appreciable effect.

Otherwise, I really would try parametric EQ as a starting point.

13. zippy

zippy pfm Member

I have thought of DIRAC or similar (e.g. DSPeaker), but I have many times heard it said that these approaches 'take the life out of the music'.
    Also, for something like DIRAC, it means I have to buy a PC to run it..

14. Helen Bach

Helen Bach if it ain't Baroque ...

I seem to be cursed with not appreciating bass humps from loudspeakers. All (bar the BBC LS3/5A clone I made) my loudspeakers have had this problem, in various rooms, and various amplifiers. All offending loudspeakers have been TLS or reflex loaded!

Recently, I set out to design (re-design) probably my last pair of speakers, and decided that, not wanting to re-invent the wheel, I would use proprietary boxes, and augment them with bass bins and ribbon tweeters. Long story short, I bought a pair of JPW Sonata 'speakers, just to use the mid-range units, although they could be considered nearly full range, as they reproduce 60Hz to 6kHz rather well. And they work in a closed box (ib). When I first used them (with a cheap class D amplifier) they were very good except for the usual bass hump (like the 3/5A). Announcers voices (on BBC Radio3) were bass heavy, despite the Beeb stating that they weren't. Even women's voices were deeper that one would thought possible!

Then I changed the loudspeaker cable from 2.1mm dia tinned copper wire multi-strand to 2.2mm dia silver plated copper wire multi-strand, and the bass hump disappeared!! Also added some damping mats between boxes (by this time I had two Sonatas and a JPW mini monitor, per side!) and added an ALPS volume control. Listening position and 'speaker positions remained the same throughout.

The bass no longer annoys me, but is there when it is present. I am listening to gloriously reproduced music. Bass, well down to 60Hz, is top quality, no boom, no overhang and no time smear, well, not that I can hear. ;)

15. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

ATC SCM 20SL's should do it, if your amps can drive them.

16. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

The room is not too bad.
    You really only have 3 choices.
    Move everything around regardless of domesticity and see if there is any position where the hump eases off, then decide if that position is in any way acceptable.
    Treat the room (may not be as intrusive as you fear) or,
    buy speakers that don't emphasise bass.

The latter means small standmounts, which are best used in a nearfield position. You may like to try this (less that 8ft from you) by borrowing somesuch. The advantage of this is 2fold. One, less bass output to start and 2, given their liking for nearfield, you can also keep them well out of the corners (not out, intotheroom out, but out, along the wall out), and therfore avoid the worst speaker position for bass emphasis (IN a corner, which acts as a bass horn) in the process.

Small Harbeths (the 3 series) excell at this and ar so good you may not want your KEF's back. If 1 or 2 won't work, at least try to hear some Harbeth3's in your room.

17. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

P3s work virtually anywhere in my experience.

18. TimF

TimF pfm Member

Obviously not stand mounters, but how about Klipsch Heresy?

19. Curtis

Curtis pfm Member

As previously suggested seating position is most underestimated in these situations.
    Try moving a few feet closer to the speakers and certainly avoid speakers being placed in corners.

20. Barryoke

Barryoke pfm Member

Hmmmm, I have a pair of Kef model 1 reference and even those have a tendency to boom like Baldrick reading his poem The German Guns.

I’d go for a pair of Quad esl 57, or even a stacked pair, but that’s why the missus is the sensible one in our house.

Curtis likes this.