1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Speech to text software

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ks.234, Mar 27, 2020.

1. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

My father struggles with computers and especially typing text.

He has a reasonably new (3 years?) HP laptop which I believe has a microphone. What is the best speech to text app for him?

Needs to be very simple to use.

Cheers, K

2. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

3. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

Wilson likes this.
  4. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

[​IMG]

Yes, I really should’ve worked that one out myself well before asking out loud.

Lesson for today; think, just for a moment, before posting

Many thanks, K

5. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

For the thread, rather than your Father perhaps, but Dragon is the industry standard - very powerful but not cheap unfortunately. I used this after my stroke but could never remember the commands...

https://www.nuance.com/dragon.html

ks.234 likes this.
  6. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

I played with Dragon many years ago when my arthritis started. While even then the speech recognition was quite good, coping with my Scots Doric accent the command structure takes a bit of getting used to and the whole process of dictating takes a bit of getting used to. My condition was quickly brought under control and I did not persist with Dragon.

While the onset of the arthritis was worrying at the time, I was lucky in that I got an early referral to a rheumatologist and all the treatments have worked and I've had very few side effects.

ks.234 and gavreid like this.
  7. window-licker-65

window-licker-65 Well-Known Member

dragon needs a lot of training. I always found it interfered with my thought processes when authoring papers

8. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Any speech to text requires training, especially if you have an odd accent ie not white male SE UK or affluent USA

9. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

How does it work with people who just don’t know what they’re talking about?

10. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

The deluxe version of Dragon Speech includes a' Babel Fish & improbability' translator. It writes what it wants and chooses the output language to suit.

Cheers,

DV

John.P, ks.234 and kendo like this.