1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Spendor S3/5R sound compared with S3/5R2 and HLP-3ESR

Discussion in 'audio' started by TheDecameron, Feb 12, 2018.

1. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

The engineering content in the Harbeth is higher though- when you take a good look at the ply, screwed cabinet construction, complex crossover and drivers. The S3/5R is simple MDF, one transverse brace and a driver with a plastics basket and smallish magnet. Having said that, it delivers the goods. Didn’t someone say that engineering was about building something cost effectively? Out of the bunch, it’s the one I have most affection for.

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

IIRC the S3/5R has a ply cab, at least I’m sure the R2 does. I’d not be surprised in the Harbeth has a plastic basket, the 8” Radial driver has, and the Harbeth tweeter (a Seas metal dome) is not expensive at all (the M30 has a far more expensive soft dome that I wish they’d stick in the P3ESR!). Nothing wrong with a plastic basket for smallish drivers IMO; non-resonant, non-ferrous, and I guess with modern materials certainly stiff enough.

3. TheDecameron

Here’s two pics - first of the 3/5R carcass then the R2, both appeared to me to be MDF. I take your point about materials- the R is a beautifully and economically executed design. The R2, HLP3 and D1 appear to have had more spent on the materials budget. You might get your wish re the HLP3ESR- maybe an ESR Plus with that tweeter?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

twotone likes this.
  4. twotone

twotone pfm Member

I sold my S3/5r2s (Classic) for £430 plus delivery to Spain last month, I also sold my P3 esrs about two years ago for what I paid for them which was about £1000, there's no way that there is nearly £600 of a difference between both sets of speakers.

I've seen the Spendors for sale for as low as £350 SH, albeit at bit of a battered pair, but at that price that is a lot of speaker for the money.

5. TheDecameron

I agree about the price differential in relation to performance- the cake is already very good but manufacturers will do you one with icing- for a price.

6. twotone

twotone pfm Member

I loved both speakers and never really lost a penny on either but regardless of price I would still take the Spendors over the Harbeths.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Certainly looks that way! I could have sworn I read there was ply involved, but obviously not.

8. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

The Spendor D1 was mentioned earlier and it’s one speaker which always intrigued me. Was it a short-lived model ?
    Having owned ( for a short while ) a pair of S3/5R2s, I would have liked to hear the ‘1.

9. TheDecameron

The D1 is a stiffer box than either of the S3/5 variants. Again, MDF but with a more complex structure-instead of a single cross brace, there are two horizontal shelf braces. One at the mid point of the woofer which butts up against the rear assembly via a damping pad visible in this pic-

[​IMG]
    Note the bitumen type damping on the right hand side wall.
    [​IMG]

Above is another full size shelf brace with two large cut outs, just below the height of the tweeter. Here seen looking up,

[​IMG]
    There are also two different densities of foam used, compared with a single type in the other models.
    So one reason for the difference in sound from the s3/5R and R2, is less cabinet contribution ( or perhaps some would say, a different cabinet contribution).

10. TheDecameron

S3/5R2 woofer-
    [​IMG]

D1-
    [​IMG]