1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Spent a decent amount on your system? want a reality check?

Discussion in 'audio' started by PhilofCas, May 3, 2019.

1. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

You can Tony yes, apparently elevates their performance by a good amount.

(HomePod is the Apple equivalent)

2. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

Yes you can stereo pair any of the sonos speakers as long as they are 2 of the same models. ie you can’t stereo pair a play1 with a sonos1, or a 3 with a 5 etc. Play1’s at £129 each atm.
    The play3 has been discontinued, as a pair of ones sound better than a single3.

3. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

My daughter has one and its good. Her favourite band brought out a new album recently The Foals a band I like also. She asked to come over for a listen. Her words after a listen , you hear so much more ,big sound stage and more detail. Sonos is good so is a mini Denon system if it gives you what you want all and good but my HiFi is going no where use it daily .

PhilofCas likes this.
  4. suzywong

suzywong pfm Member

I was running our Denon mini/QAcoustics kitchen system for a couple of hours yesterday while cooking. It’s good, but totally outclassed by our big systems (biamped Sibbles and triamped Briks)

5. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

The premise of this thread reminds me of a couple of old threads in which the protagonists commented on how good their telly sounded compared to their hi-fi’s. As in those cases, if your Sonos speakers do give your hi-fi a run for its money then your hi-fi is seriously underperforming!

6. radamel

radamel Music Fiend

Hear, hear!

7. evand

evand pfm Member

One of these...

[​IMG]

Plugged into one of these:

[​IMG]

and you'll have better casual listening sound than you could imagine from an active speaker that size.

Whilst it's very listenable (IMHO way ahead of the Sonos) it's not hi-fi. Great for having tunes around the house though. I've got one at my bedside, and another in the study, both streamed to via Roon.

PhilofCas likes this.
  8. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I've got a Play 1 next to the bed for late night/drifting off and early morning radio, for what it is it's a cracking little thing and worst case scenario I could probably live with it as a main source of music. The Hi-Fi still walks all over it though.

PhilofCas likes this.
  9. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

It performs very well thank you :), but would say the little SONOS is highlighting the law of diminishing returns to great effect, it really is very listenable.

(It’s sown the seed of me looking into some kind of DSP and active speakers, just maybe these two aspects of the design are what’s making the seemingly impossible, possible).

10. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

To be honest I’ve always thought it overpriced.

PhilofCas likes this.
  11. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

Well, a few week in, and............it’s very very enjoyable!!

What a tremendous little speaker this is, SONOS have engineered something special IMHO.

Laughably good.