1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Spotify Family new terms and conditions.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Sloop John B, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Sloop John B

Sloop John B pfm Member

Basically (as I read it) my family is no longer my daughters in University and us at home but everyone residing in the same household and using google maps to verify address.

Eligibility and Verification

A. In order to be eligible for the Premium Family Subscription, the primary account holder and the subsidiary account holders must be family members residing at the same address.

B. Upon activation of a subsidiary Premium Family account, you will be asked to verify your home address.

C. We may from time to time ask for re-verification of your home address in order to confirm that you are still meeting the eligibility criteria.

We use Google Maps address search to help you find and set your address. The address you enter upon activation or re-verification will be subject to the Google Maps Additional Terms of Service and Google Privacy Policy.

Spotify reserves the right to terminate or suspend access to the Spotify Premium Family service and the Spotify Premium Family account(s) immediately and at any time if you fail to meet the eligibility criteria and as otherwise set out in the Spotify Terms and Conditions of Use.

Cannot say I’m too happy with this. “Google maps to help me find my address” strangely enough I can find my address without resorting to my smartphone.

.sjb

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  2. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

I don't stream. Nobody can change the terms of my physical record collection!

Snufkin, Still and Tony Lockhart like this.
  3. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Hasn’t this always been the rules?
    I signed up as soon as it started the family subscription and the address stipulation was in the t&cs then.

I should think there are thousands of family subscriptions where signed up members aren’t at the family home they say they are!

4. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Apple Music seems to be different. Our distributed family can all use it.

5. pjdowns

pjdowns Living the Hifi dream

I hope this is just a misunderstanding of the terms or a badly worded set of terms!, because Spotify can be used on the move.

So how can you be residing at the address to use it. Sounds like a bean counter has written that rubbish!

sukalite likes this.
  6. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

I reckon a daughter away at uni can legitimately be described as resident at your home. Uni is not a permanent place.

7. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

"Who's that knockin at the door?" :eek:

8. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

Snufkin and Big Tabs like this.
  9. pjdowns

pjdowns Living the Hifi dream

10. PhilofCas

PhilofCas pfm Member

11. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

It's an issue for all music enjoyers.

On the contrary there are many other options e.g. support the musicians we enjoy :=)

Sorry, I don't remember you. That wasn't whataboutism, but this is an e.g.

[​IMG]

Good luck!

Big Tabs and PhilofCas like this.
  12. JuliaHolloway

JuliaHolloway New Member

I want my family to have the same music album on Spotify. That will be very interesting

13. oldius

oldius Woolly soundstage.

That's always been the rule but it has never been an issue for my family, who now live in various, worldwide locations.

14. KrisW

KrisW pfm Member

I suspect that the current situation has led to an upsurge in people lending login details to each other, rather than a surge in new subscriptions.

My brother and I share streaming subscriptions, and we're living in different countries. If we didn't, then instead of four annual subscriptions between two people there would be one subscription each, and I think all of the streaming companies know that sub-sharing drives sales rather than limits them.

The rate chart is misleading for a few of reasons, but the biggest one is that the true income from an artist isn't the per-play rate, but rather the per-play rate times the number of plays. Leaving out the scale of the services' reach makes the situation look grossly unfair, because I'm pretty sure any casual reader's estimate of how many songs are played on Spotify, for example, is out by at least one order of magnitude. To properly interpret that per-song rate, you would need to also know that Spotify's users play around 65 billion tracks every month - that 336,000 plays needed for a minimum wage represents just 0.00052% of that market. (Source: 217 million active users, average 25 hours per month, I'm assuming 5 minutes per song; first two figures are from their 2019 results)

15. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

The single household thing was certainly the case when I signed up for Spotify Family a while back.

16. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

In the past they wanted to grow market share, better to turn a blind eye to multiple addresses than have the relatives go to a rival.
    Now they are struggling to supply the bandwidth, so time to hit the freeloaders

17. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

They will risk losing a third of their income if they clamp down as people revert to one paid subscription and the rest of the family use free options.