1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Squeezebox touch

Discussion in 'audio' started by Keith Smith, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Keith Smith

Keith Smith Getting older every day.

2. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

I am not sure I would buy an SBT now,within the law manufacturers only have to support for two years, if you just want it to stream your own files it wil be fine, but support for radio stations ?
    Keith.

3. sam_cat

sam_cat C'est Crounchifique!

Just buy a netbook.

4. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I'm sure 99% of people only want it to stream their own files anyway.Losing Spotify could be inconvenient.

5. Bluedroog

Bluedroog pfm Member

I disagree, at the prices you can pick one up for during the price drops in my opinion are still worth it even for two years use. They are by far the best option available in that price bracket and I’d imagine that unofficial support will continue well beyond two years. Also as the technology slowly enters the mainstream a SBT could be the ideal cheap solution to use for a couple of years while the technology matures and enters the mainstream market.

6. topa

topa Sans CDPs

Exactly my thinking, consider this as a stop-gap for two or three years.
    More and more companies will follow LINNs example and abort CDPs. In a few years I imagine you'll have plenty of players to choose from.

7. SamS

SamS pfm Member

I think that if you use Triodes - Spotify Premium App as opposed to the Logitech Spotify App then Spotify could continue to be accessed, come what may. Triode's App also integrates very well with the Squeezebox, almost making Spotify feel like it is part of your own collection, with the ability to build playlists comprising your own and Spotify files seamlessly.

Bit of a bugger (as ever) to get to work initially but once running has been very stable for me. YMMV

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...remium-Plugin-(Beta)&highlight=triode+spotify

8. Jodet

Jodet pfm Member

I keep thinking that. I keep waiting. FOR YEARS I KEEP WAITING.

Why isn't the hi-fi industry making a good hi-rez streamer that isn't some ridiculously over-priced 'music server' with a dac, the kitchen sink and a two to ten thousand dollar price tag?

I am not optimistic that I will see a good way to get my music files from my hard drive to my system in my lifetime.

The Touch works pretty darn good for a very good price. But I wonder if the reason 24/96 files don't impress me is I'm running them through a Touch.

9. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

As a Triode user with premium on a Duet I am delighted to hear that news.

10. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

No, it's just the fact that the bit depth and sample rate don't guarantee a good recording or performance. I have some recordings in both 16/44.1 and 24/96 and through the touch the higher resolution is subtle, but audible, but not always complementary!

11. Jodet

Jodet pfm Member

For me, so far, hi-rez downloads are more hype.

For ten years I heard about how great it was gonna be when everything was 24/96. Now it's 24/96 and it sounds like cd rips to me.

I said 'screw it' and bought a turntable and started collecting vinyl again.

12. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Manufacturer and Distributor

That's because most of it is...

13. wyjsar

wyjsar Nothing but heart

Graham Tricker
    G T Audio
    Tel: 01895 833099

No email address? Ooh - is that an ostrich over there?

14. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

There's an email address on his web site. Happy to help.

15. wyjsar

wyjsar Nothing but heart

Ease of use - missing. Cyberergonomics (or some such bollock-speak) are important considerations.
    But thanks Ricky.

16. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

I've had no luck getting Spotify to work on my Squeezebox Touch recently, either with the Logitech app or the Triode version. As such, the Touch is currently a bit useless to me, since I end up plugging my laptop straight in to my DAC.

17. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

I use Spotify with Touch - either with Logitech app or Squeezebox Commander. I have a Spotify Premium account. What issue(s) are you facing?
    Darren

18. Carlos68

Carlos68 pfm Member

Yeah same here, use Spotify all the time on my SBT using the Triode app :)

19. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

if you have a touch, you have the perfect product. measurement wise, it is faultless, sound wise is pristine.

i dont doubt that the files dont impress you through the touch, but it has nothing to do with the touch and everything to do with expectation bias.

the linn streamers and such are absurd. no improvment sound/measurement wise for many times the price. idiotic imo.

20. naimsg

naimsg pfm Member

Maybe I need to stuff a lot of cotton wool into my ears so that I can't clearly hear the difference between a touch and some top digital sources.

Maybe I will also need to stuff some cork into my ears so that I will not keep hearing some constant chanting or barking that all sources sound the same.

Btw, I think touch is a great product.