1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek: Picard

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Joe P, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Here’s a distillery video as Scottish as Doohan...

2. Ali T

Ali T pfm Member

Well it is an Irish Whiskey after all :)

3. Bob McC

I know...

4. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

Just got into this with EP 1&2 definitely worth watching. We loved TNG & Voyager in the past.

5. DavidS

DavidS pfm Member

That's because he wasn't Canadian.

Ali T likes this.
  6. Bob McC

I think you'll find he was.

7. tuga

tuga European

The acting is poor.
    That's all I'm saying without my lawyer present...

And be warned that my umbrella is now grounded. :p

Nic Robinson likes this.
  8. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Yours and your lawyer's agonizers, if you please.[​IMG]

Joe P likes this.
  9. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

That would be preposterous! And just to show you how good he was, there's a line in The Doomsday Machine where he even puts on a perfect Canadian accent. Now that's quality.

10. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Nic,

That’s a sign of just how great an actor James Doohan was. He could sound like a Scot who lived his whole life in Canada one second, then a native Scotsman the next.

Joe

cctaylor and Nic Robinson like this.
  11. billo

billo pfm Member

You guys are being a little unfair, ALL the accents have been bad. There is so much hamming in that space craft it is almost like "Pigs in Space"
    At least they have swerved away from Geordie and Scouse

12. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

Oh please, please, please, please let there be a Scouse Romulan villian, one with a proper throat clearing Toxteth accent, not some airy fairy Crosby one...

Ali T, stephen bennett and Sean K like this.
  13. billo

billo pfm Member

Be Ded Boss, dat!
    Along with "Are youse looking at me ears?"

Rob998 and vuk like this.
  14. DavidS

DavidS pfm Member

mmmm , funny how a lot of folks on this forum seem to be knowledgeable about all things Star Trek and hi Fi.

stephen bennett likes this.
  15. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

I don't know S**t about hifi, how dare you.

Rob998, stephen bennett and DavidS like this.
  16. Joe P

I don't mean to make light of the COVID-19 situation, as it's dire and unprecedented in my lifetime — but its spread is reminding me of that old Star Trek episode, The Naked Time.

Mr. Spock and Joe Tormolen beam down to Psi 2000, a planet that's breaking up, to find that the researchers who were stationed there are all dead. What's worse, they look like they've gone bananas. Nothing as crazy as fighting over a loo roll, but they purposely shut down their life support system and froze to death.

While looking at the dead researchers, ol' Joe removes his environmental suit glove to scratch his nose and accidentally comes in contact with a strange red liquid, presumably the same liquid that made everyone on the science base go nuts. Back on the ship a few hours later, Tormolen starts acting irrationally and in a scuffle with Sulu and Riley accidentally infects them.

You can see where this heads. In a matter of hours almost the entire ship is infected including Mr. Spock.

To make matters worse, Riley, who's also gone nuts, runs into engineering, locks the door then shuts off the warp engines. As the ship starts spiralling downward, Scotty realizes that he'll need 30 minutes to get the engines back online. But he only has minutes!

Ah, but maybe there's a solution, one that requires slapping your first officer!

It all turns out OK in the end, and I wish I could say the same about COVID-19.

Joe

17. Joe P

Phew, that was close.

Joe

18. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Blimey Joe, I'm going to be so bored (not much) working from home that a few little summaries a day like that will keep me doubly entertained!

19. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Took the words out of my mouth, Gareth!

cutting42 and stephen bennett like this.
  20. Joe P

Nic,

I needed a diversion between the stream of crazy last-minute tasks at work. We're shutting down until further notice.

Joe