1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek: Picard

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Joe P, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Dave***t

Dave***t Revolutionary relativist

Nicely done, sir :D

In fact, I wonder if the writer of The Expanse actually intended a coded nod to Trek?

2. Alan Brown

Alan Brown Registered LUser

"All this has happened before, and will happen again".

Liking Picard so far, very much.

3. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

4. Spike

Spike pfm Member

I admire and respect the fact he is rescuing a pitbull. However, it may encourage others to want a pitbull with cropped ears which will then encourage breeders to crop pups ears. If only US would ban it.

vuk likes this.
  5. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Lots of things I wish 'if only the US would...' I agree that following the EU lead on things like ear cropping and tail docking would be highly desirable. So would banning guns; stepping back from uncritical support of Israel; stopping meddling in the middle east more generally; focussing its considerable powers and intellectual might on mitigating climate change...

One thing at a time, I guess.

6. Spike

Spike pfm Member

Oh, so there are worse things so I shouldn’t bring this up?! Thanks.

7. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

No, not what I meant. And actually, until you mentioned it I wasn’t aware of it, so thanks. Really.

But I’m not sure I’d dismiss the series based on that. Might even be an opportunity to raise the profile of it as an issue, but not if you go around rubbishing the series on the basis of a slightly spurious line that it’s perpetuating the practice.

8. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

Thought the dog was a bit of odd casting (unless he visits the Queen Vic or Romford in the next episode) and to be fair to the dog, she was the best actor in it so far!
    A Blue Picardy Spaniel
    would have been better perhaps, or a little Monkey that perched on his shoulder.
    Got half way through the first episode and fell asleep when the girl started jumping around and beating up the baddies, bit formulaic so far, not sure if it's the script but Stewart acting is very Olivier and Gielgud...dear Johnny...
    Hopefully it will improve as it goes on.

9. Spike

Spike pfm Member

I’m not dismissing it at all. I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode. Just wished they hadn’t used a cropped dog.
    Part of posting here was to raise awareness.

10. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Isn't the show shot in Canada?

11. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

One thing Picard has over Disco is it looks like it's not being made up as they go along.

zippy, stephen bennett and vuk like this.
  12. tuga

tuga European

I've just watched the first episode with the kids.
    It managed to grab my attention, but I have found a Stewart a bit too old for the job.

13. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Too old to play a retired veteran?

14. Joe P

Nic,

Your post gives me the heebie Bee Gees.

Joe

15. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Are Picard's housemates Romulan, or Vulcan?

16. tuga

tuga European

Too old to play.

17. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

His wife Kristen says the same thing.

Old people playing old people (rather than young people in bad makeup).

Whatever next?

Stephen

18. tuga

tuga European

That's the problem, the playing.
    He's too old... And it shows in his acting skills.

Same happened with Harrison Ford and Carrie Fischer in this last SW trilogy.

19. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Couldn't disagree more. Anyone unsure of his current acting skills needs to have seen him with that other oldie McKellan last year in Pinter's No Man's Land. Masterclass of youthful thesp-ism.

stephen bennett likes this.
  20. Joe P

Patrick Stewart too old to act? Pah!

Joe