1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek: Picard

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Joe P, Jul 23, 2019.

1. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

I agree. I think people are so unused to seeing older people on TV and Film in lead roles, they think it's somehow weird.

Stephen

2. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

I'm kind of hoping Picard could even channel Victor Meldrew when all the changes get too much for him. Data...put on weight? I doooooont' beliiiiiieeeevvv eeeeeeeettttttt!

3. tones

tones Tones deaf

And he has that wonderful voice that can convey so much.

I can't understand Amazon Prime. I can get The man in the high castle, but not Picard here in Swizzieland via Amazon UK. The Amazon people explain to me that it's a question of the rights, and it does no good to explain to them that, as both are Amazon Originals, the rights to both are Amazon's. Hopefully it'll turn up somewhere where I can see it. The Germans seem quite fond of Trek - perhaps one of the zillion German channels will show it eventually.

4. zippy

zippy pfm Member

Romulan, I think, though I'm not quite sure who they are or why they're there !

5. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Romulan.

Probably thankful for being saved and not vapourized by the supernova.

Joe

6. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Perhaps his own take on it: ‘I can’t beliiieeeve that somebody made it so’

7. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

The "Short Treks" filmlets seem to fill in a few gaps in "Discovery" and "Picard".

I've just started watching "Discovery", which I'd avoided it up 'til now 'cause I hated the first episode. It seems better this time around. although I'm not sure why the Klingons have to be re-invented for every Trek series. I'm not sure I really care about what happens to any of these characters though.

8. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

give it a few more episodes and that zero care will move into negative numbers.

9. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

I wanted them all to die horribly—with the possible exception of plasticine face.

Stepehn

10. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

Finished watching the first episode, hmmm... quite enjoyed it but the script is iffy and the younger actors are a bit obvious (other than the Dog), in fact it reminds me a bit of The Man in the High castle, where Rufus Sewell acts everyone else off the screen, even with the dodgy script Patrick Stewart is on another level.
    Still looking forward to the next episode.

What's the significance of the "square death star" at the end?

11. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Square death star?

Mortal, you have earned this!

[​IMG]

Joe

12. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

As old age creeps up some actors can lose their gravitas. I thought this about Paul Newman when I watched him in Road to Perdition. I felt wistful for his Cool Hand Luke and Butch Cassidy and The Verdict. It shows how important the voice is. Stewart still holds most of his tone with only a slight strain in the upper register. I really liked his performance in Logan. He totally carries the new Picard, adding pathos and meaning to some pretty poor dialogue. Without him it would be very ordinary and probably cancelled.

13. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

It is the spitting image of a Borg cube . What are the Romulans doing using that as a recovery facility? Also Picard was once assimilated by the Borg, but retained some autonomy so he could act as an intermediary between The Borg and Starfleet and became Locutus of Borg . The appearance of a Borg Cube is usually Bad News.

Is it just a salvaged Borg vessel, or is there a darker reason...?

Whatever the reason, a Borg Cube is an iconic and chilling image in the TNG universe.

Andrew C! likes this.
  14. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

Thanks for explaining that, i can't help but think of Scandinavian stock cubes.

Ive just done a bit of research about the Borg, my conclusion is their not unlike the Conservatives, The Queen being Dominic Cummings.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  15. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Jeri Ryan reprises Seven of Nine in this series. Please show me a Conservative MP that looks as fabulous as Jeri!

16. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

I suspect that having had one star blow up on them, they want going forward to live not on planets, but on things that can dodge.

17. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Fair point, but you have to concede there is no Star Trek enemy/monster as chillingly terrifying as Dominic Cummings.

Andrew C! and tuga like this.
  18. tuga

tuga European

Eastwood is good for this kind of action film.
    Stewart looks like he's going to break... You can't have a very old person do things that an old person would not be able to do, and Stewart is living proof.

19. Taff63

Taff63 pfm Member

Fans of Jeri should check out 'Bosch' on Prime. A good watch.

20. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

Ahhhhh.... Booblar of Borg

[​IMG]

Andrew C! likes this.