1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek: Picard

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Joe P, Jul 23, 2019.

1. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

2. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

OK, I rewatched the first episode. My opinion is unchanged. It was solid start and I’m looking forward to the next episode to see where the series is heading.

Joe

flatpopely and Nic Robinson like this.
  3. DonQuixote99

DonQuixote99 pfm Member

Things that are different about streaming:

1. Instead of finding a share of the audience available in a time slot, the show must attempt to be found by a smaller share across all viewing times. This means the viewers are selecting shows first, not viewing times first. So they are more likely to feel committed to the shows they select.

2. Viewers, like myself and Joe, can rewatch a show at will, enabling us to catch all the nuances of complex plots.

So the streaming medium favors rich complex content, and the writers can develop plot arcs rather than each show needing to be a stand-alone item.

Joe P, Rob998 and Andrew C! like this.
  4. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

We also watched it for the second time, under direction from The Wife which is kind of unprecedented. Not so much we watch together so all good here.

Yomanze and Joe P like this.
  5. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

I will have to give it another go as I was left feeling underwhelmed first time around.

I have also started watching the latest trek series from the off. Finding this a compelling watch.

6. Joe P

Ragaman,

Seven of Nine will be making a cameo at some point — this has been widely advertised, so it's not a spoiler — so if nothing else, Seven of Nine!

Joe

Andrew C! likes this.
  7. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

That's me sold :)

8. Joe P

I liked ST: Picard last week, I like the show even more after tonight’s episode.

For those who have a dissenting or contrarian point of view, expect to be on the end of some Apollo lightning action.

Joe

stephen bennett likes this.
  9. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

@Joe P

i know you eliminated TV from your life a while back, and that's to be applauded (note my riff on the oxford comma). the downside is that you seem to have missed out -- correct me if i'm wrong -- on the golden age of television. if not, how on earth can you rate this above 4/10 in comparison the "the wire", "breaking bad" or even something brand new like "the morning show", not to mention many others. yeah, i get the sentimental attachment and fetishism, but surely you must be cringing at the dialogue straight out of a young adult novel and cartoonish good/evil character portrayals.

just like last week, it all started off great then went downhill. given the money that's clearly gone into this (it certainly looks great), i imagine everything has been planned out and not much is going to change. the only reason i will be back next week is in the insane belief patrick stewart will somehow rescue it. problem is he's already compromised too much.

p.s. is girlieman emo romulan someone from game of thrones? not sure how he got the part otherwise.

10. Joe P

Vuk

The Golden Age of TV was 1966–1969.

[​IMG]

As for your take on my new show ... Mortal, you have earned this!

Joe

vuk likes this.
  11. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Watching ep 2 now.

12. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

joe.

i thought that was the linoleum age.

denni55 likes this.
  13. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Bizarre programme, think it is all made up.

I like Patrick Stewart woofers though, the English and the yank versions.

Bloss

14. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Just watched ep 2. Found it very enjoyable. Not overthinking it or doing too much ‘chimp paradox’ about it, and am just enjoying it for what it is.

15. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Fecking brilliant

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Just in case anyone wants to over-think it.

17. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

18. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

I liked the sign saying “This facility has gone 5843 days without an assimilation”

[​IMG]

19. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

I really like the Irish Romulan, she’s lowkey hot.

Bob McC likes this.
  20. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Ep 2, this is turning out to be epic!