1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Starfish BOM

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by 2_dive, May 26, 2019.

1. 2_dive

2_dive pfm Member

Does anybody have the Starfish BOM that I could have a copy of please.

2. Helen Bach

Helen Bach if it ain't Baroque ...

Starfish BOM:

five arms
    hundreds of tiny feet
    eyes (to match number of arms)
    case made of calcium carbonate

but no brain or blood needed (so the Starfish is a no brainer).

3. misterc6

misterc6 Wasted and wounded, it ain’t what the moon did

Don't you just love it when some joker comes up with a totally irrelevant post in answer to a perfectly reasonable question?

I have the Starfish manual including the BOM and some other relevant information in electronic form that I can send you. Please start a Conversation giving me your e-mail address and I'll pass it over to you.

4. 2_dive

2_dive pfm Member

Have done - thank you for your help

5. misterc6

misterc6 Wasted and wounded, it ain’t what the moon did

I've sent over all the information that I have, I hope it helps!

6. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

Are you thinking of building a Starfish? That would be a real blast-from-the-past.

7. 2_dive

2_dive pfm Member

Yes - picked up a board via PFM. I have built many preamps and poweramps over the years and the Starfish will fill a gap in my collection. The preamp I am using at the moment is a Naim nac12 with Neil's boards powered by 4 AWSLR boards and the Starfish has the potential to better this due to improved earthing and power supply arrangments.

8. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

I have a starfish powered by two super teddy regs, it sounds much better than using the trafo.

Pete

fatmarley likes this.
  9. 2_dive

2_dive pfm Member

I am planning to use 6+ AWSLR

10. sam_cat

sam_cat ᶜ ᶦˢ ᶠᵒʳ ᶜᵒᵒᵏᶦᵉ

We had issues with the onboard trafo, it injected noise that got *everywhere* including down the speaker leads.. This was a 100% as per BOM build.

11. Pete MB&D

How are you going to split the 6 AWSLRs between the 11 Lm337/317?

Pete

12. 2_dive

2_dive pfm Member

No - replace them completely starting with one AWSLR per gain block then adding more later when everything works ok and no Traco's.

13. Pete MB&D

So you aren't going for the local regulated symmetric configuration?

Pete

14. 2_dive

2_dive pfm Member

I was going to start with local regulated asymmetric then change to a symmetric supply - I do have enough neg AWSLR to use to do this. Are you suggesting that its worth going to a symmetric supply version straight away?

15. Pete MB&D

Yep, thats what I did, with the Traco and NERT, no long gone.

You could run fully symmetric using the onboard regs and a pair of +/- AWSLRs, thinking about it thats probably the simplest way to start.

Pete