1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Steely Dan- Any good?

Discussion in 'music' started by Noopz, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

Come on Anex, tell us the music you like & it will give us a better idea if you can classify Steely Dan as shite.

2. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

Heard "Gaucho" yesterday & it was anything but shite. At the time, "Gaucho" was the most expensive non soundtrack studio album ever recorded & they still weren't completely satisfied with the finished results. :)

Anyone have "Morph the Cat" ?

3. Anex

Anex Señor Member

Try the search function Nigel.

4. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

He likes this band, apparently. On which, I have no comment. But there it is.

5. Have Fun

Have Fun pfm Member

Oh Yeah ? Another articluate & good looking bunch with wonderful lyrics.

6. Anex

Anex Señor Member

Clip not taken from the record I mentioned, I don't know what that one you linked to is. If you try the record I was talking about, you'll find they're a great band. They even use pinch harmonics so something for everyone.
    If you want to start picking deliberately bad clips, I'm sure there is plenty of embaressing Dan I can dig up...

7. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

Taken from "Leviathan", which was critically acclaimed by those who acclaim such things critically (e.g., "MASTODON could be considered the second coming of Metallica and Rush combined, and nobody who's seen them live could counter that opinion." — MTV.com). If it's unrepresentative of their output, I apologize.

Did. Didn't.

8. Kit Taylor

Kit Taylor Well-Known Member

Noddy Holder out of Slade said Steely Dan were a cack live act.

9. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

Noddy also starred alongside Dave Hill for 25 years and never insisted that he lose the "village idiot" hairdo.

Noddy Holder – fantastic singer, great character, but arbiter of taste? Well, for some, I suppose.

10. Anex

Anex Señor Member

He was also in the band that released Alive so he can have whatever hair cut he feels like. Surely a slightly NME reason to not like a band?

11. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

12. kasperhauser

kasperhauser pfm Member

A couple of reads has left me not quite sure what your post is about, but if it suggests I'm not a Slade fan, well, nothing could be further from the truth. Love 'em.

(If it doesn't suggest that, nevermind.)

13. Have Fun

Have Fun pfm Member

I know Noddy comes across as a cheeky chappie type well loved etc & personally I quite like him, but when Slade was launched they were promoted as THE Skinhead band.
    Photo shoots had them looking all 'ard & angry. Real National Front types

It's not something I hear them admit to these days as they changed to the glam rock images.

14. LesW

LesW Retired at user request

The Nightfly album always ranks with me as the epitome of what a funk album should be. Fagan's employment of some top session musicians at first seems a tad touchy but the results are well worth the obvious immense effort and extravagance. As to the rest of the works, well worth seeking out especially when the limited vocal range of Fagan becomes at last, strangely expressive beyond mere octaves.......

15. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

That bloke with the teeth and Noddy as skinheads! hahahahaha

16. SCIDB

SCIDB Triode Man

Hi,

They had the skinhead look because it was the latest trend at the time. This was in the late 60s. Their manager, Chas Chandler, thought it would give me good publicity. A lot of the skinheads at that time were into early reggae music.

[​IMG]

Dean

17. Blzebub

Blzebub Banned

This, I guess, is a polite way of saying that he can't sing? Because he definitely can't sing.

18. Have Fun

Have Fun pfm Member

I was in college in Leicester the time they were launched & a Big Skinhead movement was growing (alongside NF & immigration issues) .. Slade was marketed to the skins fashion but I am glad they distanced from that especially as the skins image became intertwined with the NF. .. your photo link is a lot softer than those in my memory .. their hair is longer for starters .. like I said the pose was look 'ard & angry.

19. Fanny Cradock

Fanny Cradock Legs Akimbo

Oy, leave Slade out of this.

20. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

Haha- look at Noddy's pants! and the bloke with the teeth's pants and his teeth! hoho