1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Steely Dan - Katy Lied

Discussion in 'music' started by Woodface, Mar 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I always listen out for Larry Charlton, serious muso jazz chops

2. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

The intro to 'Don't Take Me Alive' is none too shabby.

Tarzan likes this.
  3. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

How could I forget to mention that one! Larry Carlton again... then there's Elliott Randall, who played Reelin’ in the Years (supposedly one of Jimmy Page’s favourite solos...) and My Old School, and Bad Sneakers I think... oh bollocks, you've got me started on my bore-for-Britain subject. Down boy, down...

Woodface likes this.
  4. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

I think I bought secondhand early UK pressings of all their first 7 albums in a splurge when I was 17 or 18, having heard Pretzel Logic from a friend’s older brother. A favourite band that I suspect I will always enjoy.

The more polished stylings of Gaucho and Aja I have only started to really appreciate in the last few years, though. Almost jumped out of my skin when I first cottoned the Keith Jarrett rip off on Gaucho - Belonging is a record that’s been in my playlist even longer than Steely Dan! Yeah, they should be as despicable as The Eagles and The Doobie Brothers, but they’re just too hip and cool to have much in common with those beaded bores. Apart from Jeff ‘Skunk’ Baxter, anyway.

Favourite Dan solo? Jeff Baxter’s electric sitar solo on ‘Do it Again’, of course.

5. Marchbanks

A Dan bore writes: Actually that one was Denny Dias too.

6. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

It's true that The Doobie Brothers output is not consistently good but Toulouse Street & The Captain and Me are imho excellent albums that still sound great today.

7. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

I stopped agonising over which is best, it's like choosing a favourite beer. I'm still drinking all of them. The run of albums from CBAT to Gaucho are all essential imo. Guitar solos of which there are some stunners, Elliot Randall's is my favourite it just absolutely nails the the vibe for Reelin' In The Years.

Just in case some Dan fans haven't seen this, a neat selection of the top solos.

Pedro83, Colin L and Dozey like this.
  8. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

Did Jeff Baxter play the guitar solo on Night By Night?

9. Marchbanks

This is what Kid Charlemagne would have sounded like if Larry Carlton painted his nails.

10. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Steely Dan are basically catnip to hifi forums;)

11. waxkinglyrical

waxkinglyrical pfm Member

If you ever see a copy of F.M. (No Static At All) on 12” single format snap it up as it is a very good recording.

12. GJO

GJO pfm Member

I never really got into them,always thought of them as a singles pop band as Haitian divorce and Reeling in the years were constants on juke boxes in pup's at the time,that was until I purchased the best of double vinyl on a whim,after that I purchased them all including anything from DF.

My first CD purchases were Gaucho and Aja,the Japanese issue's as apart from them and a few from Floyd,there was nothing else available when CD first arrived in the UK.

13. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

FM is great song, it is on their greatest hits.

14. GJO

GJO pfm Member

Not on the one I have as it has track's from 72 - 78

15. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

It is on a CD reissue I have

16. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

17. Marchbanks

I would say so. It sounds more like him than Denny, and I don’t think there are any guest guitarists on that album.

Nigel likes this.
  18. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

I bought a Larry Carlton CD based on his playing with Steely Dan - big mistake. It bored me to tears.

19. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

I'm a big fan of Katy Lied. It's one of those albums that is intrinsically linked to personal memories and hence i cant possibly be objective about it. I love this fact.

20. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

The vinyl best of Gold has a bonus 12 with Reelin, Do it Again, Rikki and Haitian Divorce.