1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Steely Dan - Katy Lied

Discussion in 'music' started by Woodface, Mar 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Joe

Joe pfm Member

There are quite a few bands that, whilst I recognise their greatness , I own no records of because I know that the music is fundamentally too slick at grab me. I like a few tracks by the Dan but that would be about it.

Other bands that afflict me in the same way ? .. Talking Heads ,10cc , XTC , Squeeze.

I know that they are songwriting genius's all but the cleverness gets in the way of the music for me.

Too much head and not enough heart.

2. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Wow, quite a statement & the examples you quote are very disparate. I can understand 10cc & I think Talking Heads are more hipster than clever but..Squeeze, surely you need a hard heart not to like them?

3. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

I can (sort of) understand not liking XTC because of their cleverness, but slick? XTC? Don’t see that at all.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ve always thought of Talking Heads as seriously funky and groovy stuff - far more disco-compatible than any of the others listed! Always loved them right from the first album.

Nytechy likes this.
  5. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

guey and Tony L like this.
  6. guey

guey pfm Member

7. Joe

Joe pfm Member

As I said.. i like some songs by all those bands but wouldn't buy any of their albums ( caveat ..possible a well selected 'best of' to play in the car on long journeys ) . There is something about them ... and I struggle to put it into words. Maybe the nearest is...it seems like they are trying to hard to be knowingly clever. Like I said, more head than heart.

But hey ... everyone is different and have different tastes and that is a good thing

8. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Absolutely, just never seen squeeze as overly clever, clever if you get my meaning.

9. Gaycha

Gaycha Well-Known Member

Great multi track break down and analysis.

MichaelC likes this.
  10. misterdog

Indeed saw them supporting Dire Straits 1977/78, quite an evening's entertainment. Also saw one of my 'best live' gigs around the same time - Earth Wind and Fire, now they were funky fantastic.

I suspect as a budding bass player of the time Tina Weymouth caught your eye .

Funk and soul is driven by great bass and funky horns.

Back on topic Steely Dan were apparently the first band to use a Sub Woofer in the recording studio.

All this talk of bass from the man who listens through Quad ESL's which have no bass apparently ;).

11. misterdog

No mention of Little Feat ....

Possibly the best mix of head and heart, and funky bass driven music ever. Few at school could understand why I was inconsolable the day Lowell George died in 1979.

Woodface likes this.
  12. Joe

Joe pfm Member

I always felt that the Little Feat that I loved had died a while before my beloved Lowell George did. I remember having to order their first album from America because , at first , you couldn't get it here.

13. RJohan

RJohan pfm Member

KL is my all time favourite Dan album, perfectly between the early stuff and the later (a bit) to perfect ones.

On KL and SQ. On Dan's own site their is an article on the recording of KL. In their quest for fidelity they throw out the big Lansing monitors (that everybody knew how they sounded) in the studio and instead used Magneplanars plus (the then new buzz) subwoofers! Oh, it ended up sounding a bit weird, HOW could that happen???

In the early days of DVD there was a disc in the Masterpiece series with Walter and Donald explainging how Aja was recorded. There is in it a couple of short pieces of them playing live in the studio with absolutely stunning sound quality. A must for Dan fans!

14. guey

guey pfm Member

The Classic Albums DVD?
    That has one of my favourite Dan moments on it.
    Michael McDonald goes into extraordinary detail about the backing vocal arrangement on Peg. It then cuts to Walter Becker dryly noting "We had some quite specific ideas about the vocals"

15. RJohan

RJohan pfm Member

Yeah, The Classic Albums DVD. Early Alzheimer on my part...

16. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

I have dug out Katy Lied to play. It lives at the back of a box and doesn't get the attention maybe it should? Usually albums live at the back f I don't get on with them... anyhoo - playing it now.

I also found in the same box Pretzel Logic, which I do not play often. (I prefer Gaucho, Aja, Can't Buy A Thrill. The Royal Scam is my fav.)

I thought this was a German copy, but it is a West German produced copy for the Indian market > Distributed by Northstar Records, Madras, India. Coo!

edit: I now know why those albums are at the back of that box. Pretzel Logic (apart from Rikki..) is lacking excitement for me, the B-Side > Charlie Freak & Monkey In Your Soul sounds dire. Playing Katy Lied again, I prefer this but it still is not there as a whole listen.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  17. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

One of the most, nasty guitar riffs in rock history!

18. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

I seriously blame my tinnitus partially on that - when it came out I played it at top volume over and over again through HD414s (it was a shared flat.) Really. If it wasn’t distorting it wasn’t loud enough. You do idiotic things when you are nineteen.

webster likes this.
  19. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

Katy Lied? The best version resides on the Citizen CD box set. The original vinyl sounds muffled and dull in comparison.

Don't take my word for it. They said so themselves (Donald and Walter that is)

20. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

PS. That box set also includes - Here at the Western World - just about the best thing they ever did.