1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Stevie Wonder

Discussion in 'music' started by Nigel, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

In my opinion his best work occurred in the seventies, I have Talking Book through to Conversation Peace. Rarely listen to much after Songs in the Key of Life though. Question is are there any albums pre Talking Book worth owning?

2. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

'Music of My Mind' and 'Where I'm coming from' both pre-date Talking book and both are well worth getting - the earlier stuff is really good too, but is very much 'Motown Songbook' material (although his version of 'We Can Work it Out' is a stone classic).

I really wish someone would put out some live Stevie from the early 70's. I've heard a few snippets over at Wolfgang's vault and it sounds bloody amazing. There's loads out there - back in the day the Stones were going to release a joint live LP with him from the '72 tour.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Music Of My Mind, Talking Book, Innervisions and Fullfillingness' First Finale are the key works IMO. anything either side of that is optional.

clifftaylor likes this.
  4. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

Bloody hell!
    Don't do that.
    I thought he was dead too!

I've tried Talking Book and other stuff, but the only album that I think is essential is Innervisions. To me it's clear that this album is where Michael Jackson got his moves and tricks.
    The original vinyl is amazing sounding too.

maccar likes this.
  5. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

Yet, Songs in the Key of Life appears to be the critics favourite. I always preferred the three preceding studio albums as well. Will check out Music of My Mind and Where I'm Coming From.

Just been listening to some of Original Musiquarium, love the track That Girl. It's one of those doubles that have side 1 and 4 on the same LP and 2 and 3 on t'other.

6. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

Surprisingly he's only made fourteen albums since, and including, Where I'm Coming From. That's over more than a forty year period.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Music Of My Mind is excellent, very much of the curve that produced Talking Book, Innervisions etc, it has that wonderful chilled early 70s vibe to it. I need to check out Where I'm Coming From as I don't think I've ever heard it!

8. John

John TDS free

9. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

It's very much a transitionary album from the Motown sound to his signature 70's sound - think a sprightly take on the first Sly Stone album with more pop hooks.

Gaycha likes this.
  10. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

I thought I’d resurrect an old thread rather than start a new one. It occurred to me that having no Stevie Wonder at all in my collection was just wrong, so I bought Music of My Mind and this box of the next four albums. I remember hearing Talking Book as a 15-year old prog snob and enjoying the synths, but subsequently thinking of Stevie rather in terms of his more saccharine moments like that dreadful telephone song - listening from scratch now I’m gobsmacked, and I haven’t got as far as Songs In the Key Of Life yet. Just stop to think, he wrote, sang, produced and played nearly everything himself on Talking Book, and he was 22 when it was released. What a talent.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Wolfmancatsup, Gaycha and Sean K like this.
  11. oldius

oldius I miss baked beans and brown sauce.

A bona-fide genius. He also wrote tracks for others - Tears of a Clown and Until You Come Back to Me, for example.

Sean K likes this.
  12. caine

caine Member

I think he’s brilliant and was not alive when he created songs in the key of life, talking book; or Innervisions. Innervisions is the first album of his I’ll grab when entertaining. Will have too check out ‘Music of the Mind’.

Sean K likes this.
  13. vince rocker

vince rocker pfm Member

I came across this 1974 performance from German TV on YouTube recently. It is just superb music and well filmed, really gives a sense of being with the band.

14. Sean K

Sean K pfm Member

You must watch this, it's simply wonderful.

I quite agree, unbelievable that he'd produced all these by age 22.

@vince rocker

Thanks so much for that, never seen it before, superb, it sounds so intimate. I'm away from home at the moment, can't wait to that through the hifi.

vince rocker and Gaycha like this.
  15. vince rocker

vince rocker pfm Member

That's fantastic Sean K. What a band too, you would have to be some player to keep up with Stevie driving the train on clavinet.
    Sesame Street!

16. Marchbanks

I’m not sure the drummer thought he could do it at the start - the tempo is about 25% faster by the end of the first verse!

17. billo

billo pfm Member

I had similar thoughts about his stuff while listening to it on a friends expensive Japanese amp. I did think it was well produced and when I looked at the sleeve notes I found the names Robert Margouleff and Malcolm Cecil A.K.A. Tontos Expanding Headband. Which was a very strange crossover

18. Marchbanks

The 15-year old me had the Tonto album (though I have no idea what has happened to it since) and that was probably why I deigned to give Talking Book my attention back then.

19. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Songs in the Key of Life is my favourite Stevie album.

I Wish
    Sir Duke
    As

Nathan Watts on bass.:cool:

Stone cold classics.
    Closely followed by Innervisions.

I posted previously about him bringing a tear to my eye singing his telephone song live. Takes a lot of Soul to do that.

20. zippy

zippy pfm Member

'the secret life of plants' was my favourite.
    You've now tempted me to dig it out and have a play for the first time in years.