1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Strategy for peeling emulsion

Discussion in 'off topic' started by k90tour, Mar 23, 2020.

1. BJP

BJP Pink is the new Blue

Now we have ascertained the dampness problem has gone the next thing is to get the wall skimmed , then seal with 50/50 water emulsion , do not use Dulux sealer , you'd never get a pro decorator using it , some paints don't adhere to it and most will take four coats to cover .

2. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

had a house i foolishly did not prime the walls first and then painted with silk vinyl . it often peels in places , especially where stairgates have been . i carefully rub down and seal with some decorators caulk and paint it and so far been ok

for big areas now i use no nonsense new plaster paint which is fabulous to use , does not drip and makes a great primer

or this

https://www.diy.com/departments/col...VUxon4cEMFcYlKaPxWBoCOfYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

3. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

The best new plaster paint is applied using a garden spray. Spray wall with water (no paint) then brush paint water with a small amount of white mat emulsion in it. The next couple of coats are also watered down.

4. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

gosh that sounds a messy job colin !!! don`t fancy that !!

5. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

The method works and seals the wall, no mess at all its only water in the spray.

6. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

I have a heavy duty steamer/ wall stripper you can borrow. PM me if interested, I’m in Salisbury.

7. bob

bob pfm Member

Why would you do this? Why would you wet a newly plastered wall that you have allowed to dry, do you know how paint on plaster works?

8. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I must admit it's a new one on me but is it like the brickie's trick of watering his bricks before he lays them so that they don't suck all the moisture out of the mortar and make it crack? Essential on warm summer days. Less so in February when they have been in the rain for weeks and everything takes a month to dry out anyway.

9. bob

bob pfm Member

I'm a retired plasterer of over 40 years and I've seen hundreds of painters painting new plaster and they just slightly waterdown matt paint then 2 more coats of non watered paint. Works every time without fail.

k90tour likes this.
  10. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

When i used watered down paint on the newly plastered wall it sucked the water but when i sprayed it with water coverage was easier and it sealed the wall.

11. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

I had to strip wallpaper recently. The plasterboard had not been very well primed. It looked like one coat of very cheap emulsion.

Getting the paper off was a bit of a nightmare. The original decorator had obviously cut corners.

12. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

If you don't skim over plasterboard then sticking wallpaper to it will stick paper to paper and you will need napalm to get it off. A thin coat of paint is not it.

13. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

Thanks ks.234 . That's very kind but I'm locked in for the foreseeable.

14. bob

bob pfm Member

That's why if a wall is dry lined the taper should apply at least 1 coat of drywall sealer such as Gyproc Drywall Sealer after final sanding.

stevec67 and cctaylor like this.