1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Streamer : Yamaha np S 303

Discussion in 'audio' started by nbaptista, Sep 11, 2019 at 6:49 PM.

1. nbaptista

nbaptista pfm Member

For a budget of 300/500 £ what you think about the Yamaha? What other streamers should I look at? Bluesound node 2?

2. richie60

richie60 pfm Member

The new Audiolab 6000n streamer is getting good reviews.

3. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disruptor

If you're not using it as a Dac, realistically a streamer is a streamer, the main priority should be finding one with the best software/interface (or if you plan to use Roon, if its Roon Ready or not with the Bluesound is)

Julf likes this.
  4. nbaptista

nbaptista pfm Member

And where should I look for? It seems the Bluesound hás a good interface, don't know the Yamaha.

5. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disruptor

Probably reviews, youtube etc or try them out in the store. I guess you could probably download the apps, most of the functions may work for you to just see the interfacing etc

I heard the Bluesound one is good...but its still UPNP. Roon is by far the best. I cant go back now!

6. jobseeker

jobseeker pfm Member

I don’t think Bluesound use UPnP. They just use network shares. Or they did anyway.

Strictly Stereo likes this.
  7. TonyScarlett

TonyScarlett pfm Member

I would steer clear of any streamer which uses the PlayFi app until they sort out the gapless playback issue, personally I wouldn't consider buying a streamer now that wasn't Upnp compatible.

8. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disruptor

Yeah you're completely right. My error. UPNP is crap, but at least its functional,I'd have to get a streamer with UPNP (if not using Roon), but Ive yet to try this Blu OS App, so maybe its better.

9. richie60

richie60 pfm Member

UPNP works fine for me. I use the Bubbleupnp app and control Volumio on my rpi or Pioneer N50.

10. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disruptor

It's still crap, functional, but crap.

Try Roon, you'll never go back.

11. nbaptista

nbaptista pfm Member

It seems the Bluesound is the better streamer, but has no Roon.

12. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disruptor

The Bluesound Node 2 is Roon Ready, so it definitely does :)

13. Weirdness

Weirdness pfm Member

The Yamaha will be reliable and it will sound good - the Bluesound app is really good I actually prefer it to SONOS who are basically the gold standard the Bluesound is really good though it's been super reliable and easy to use in my experience.

Can't go wrong with a Node 2i it's the best replacement for the Squeezebox without spending big money that I've found.

14. lazycat

lazycat pfm Member

Not much love here but I've been using a sotm sms-200 for 18 months, it's excellent and cheaper than most. It replaced a defunct sbt.

15. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disruptor

One thing to note about the Yamaha is that it dosent have a digital out, so if you have a good/better DAC you have to use the Yamaha one, no other options. The Node has a digital out.

Having looked into it, this system would use the same app/software as my old Yamaha CD301 Network Player - it may have been updated since then, but boy was it bad.

16. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

I recently purchased a Bluesound Vault 2 (which is a Node 2 plus a ripper & NAS) and am extremely impressed with the Bluos Controller - it's an absolute pleasure to use.
    Just be aware that if you intend to use it solely as a transport connectivity is limited to coax & optical out (no usb).

17. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

Incorrect - it has coax & optical out just like the Bluesound Node 2/2i.

18. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disruptor

ah yes, it was the CD-NT670D I had that I had to return as of lack of digital outs, which was a same as it could have been a really good cd network player.

19. jobseeker

jobseeker pfm Member

For £300 I would buy the Auralic Aries Mini that I’m selling . :) Hugely flexible.

20. thomasthetank

thomasthetank Member

Loving my Marantz Na6006. Easy for me to use and sounds good to me.