1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Subwoofer repairs

Discussion in 'audio' started by ExtremePie, Apr 17, 2012.

1. ExtremePie

ExtremePie pfm Member

My brother in law has a broken KEF subwoofer which is hummin' away like mad and not otherwise working.
    Sounds like the integral amp is playing up to me, does anyone know of where / how that could be repaired? Or would a new amplifier be the way forward if access was possible to the unit?
    He's close to Northampton, so any suggestions in that area would be very welcome.
    Regards
    Damian

2. steve watkins

steve watkins pfm Member

If it is a model PSW2000/2010
    Kef had more than a few issues with these. You used to be able to call KEF direct and arrange an exchange replacement. Failing that any KEF dealer will obtain and put a new amp in it. Assuming there are some left. You may have to send it back and have it repaired. It used to be about £50 exchange plus any dealer fitting charges.

3. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

I'm sure i've seen a board exchange via someone on the Bay, I think it was around £50. A mate of mine repairs audio/video gear and I visit him every week. It's rare not to see one of these on his shelves and he's told me 95% have been straight forward to repair but the other 5% have been much more involved with lots of componens required.
    He's also seen this model come under various names so it must have been "outsourced" by Kef

4. ExtremePie

ExtremePie pfm Member

Thanks for the help. I'm not offhand sure what model it is so I'll find out and then look at a quick repair. Can I assume that almost any sub-w type amp would do the job if necessary?