1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggested Output Tap for AI500 and Tannoy Monitor Gold 3LZ 10"

Discussion in 'audio' started by Monitor Gold 10, May 16, 2019.

1. Monitor Gold 10

Monitor Gold 10 Active Member

Good morning all!

I've got the earlier (Serial No. 51636) Hinchley Transformer AI500 Amplifier. I've a choice of outputs; 16, 8 and 4 Ohms.

Presently I'm using the 4 Ohm Tap.

Might be seen as a silly question, however I'm new to Thermionic Valves and have never had a choice like this before!

Kind regards, Stu

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’d have thought the 8 Ohm tap was right, it is for 15” Golds, but if one sounds better than the other you’ll do no harm either way.

Monitor Gold 10 likes this.
  3. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

The tap that matches your speaker impedance will give the optimum combination of power and low distortion but you can try them all and see which you prefer. The 4R tap will give reduced power but possibly better grip and control whereas the 16R tap I would expect to be the "valviest" and with the loosest bass etc when used with 8R.

coltrane and Monitor Gold 10 like this.
  4. coltrane

coltrane electrobaroCKjazzer

having owned some 500s (along with, practically all, AI integrateds and all their Mk versions) I, as Tony and Jez above, suggest to take your time and try all 3 taps with the speakers - and you'll see :) . report back please, though, which you preferred, will you

Monitor Gold 10 likes this.
  5. Monitor Gold 10

Thank you all very much for your informative replies! I've changed over to 8 Ohms and am enjoying some Simon Preston Organ Music.

All I can say is bloody hell! Seems to be delivered in a more authoritative way!

6. Monitor Gold 10

Listening to Steely Dan Time out of Mind and the sound is much better. Fagans lyrics had some distortion at high volume levels. This is not the case now I'm using the 8 Ohm Taps!