1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Suitable speakers for my system

Discussion in 'audio' started by Mikerhayward, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Mikerhayward

Mikerhayward Member

Hi All.

I have decided to get back into Hi Fi following illness and retirement. My previous system was Naim 72/140 with mk 1 kans. All change now. I have collected the following. Thorens td160, philips cd 850, croft super micro A, Bedini 70/70 cube class a. Alas only have budget speakers Jamo cornet 145. All sound pretty good at the moment. Well really good actually, but I'm sure I can do better at the speaker end of things. Looking at possibly quad 22l floor or kef stand mount.

Would welcome any comments on possible speakers for compatibility and super sound.

Thanks Mick

2. Mikerhayward

Mikerhayward Member

Further to this enquiry does anyone have experience of the Bedini amplifiers and Linn Sara speakers.

Thanks Mick

3. PerF

PerF Member

Kef 104 or Linn Kaber should be fine and very reasonable prices if you can find a nice pair.

Some vintage Monitor Audio or Heybrook might be another option to look for.

4. Mikerhayward

Mikerhayward Member

Thanks I'll have a look and listen.

Mick

5. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

@Mikerhaywood what happened to the Naim and Linn Kan set up?

Very nice combo that.:)

6. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

Mick, you'll need to give details of your room, and any limits on placement, if you want speaker recommendations. Also budget, of course.

7. 2ManyBoxes

2ManyBoxes pfm Member

Musical tastes and what your sound priorities (i.e. detail, imaging, rhythm etc) are would also be useful.

If you want something super cheap then try Linn Index 2s. The 1s were horribly sharp but the 2s were completely different and much better. They come with a built in stand for example. Because of the bad reputation of the 1s, the 2s are ridiculously cheap considering that they were £500 new. How they'd get on with a valve amp I dunno :)

8. Mikerhayward

Mikerhayward Member

Hi Tarzan.

It was very very nice, just lost interest and sold it all. You live to regret some things in life. Mick

Tarzan likes this.
  9. Mikerhayward

Mikerhayward Member

Hi

Room size is 5m x 3.5m. Speakers at longest end so can be away from wall. Thinking more about stand mounts as really dont like too much base but ultimately open to any speaker. As for cost. £1000 new.

Thanks for the interest. Mick

10. Mikerhayward

Mikerhayward Member

Thanks. Only the croft pre amp is valve, the bedini is solid state. So there's a chance.

11. Mikerhayward

Mikerhayward Member

Hi All

Thanks for your advice. I might add my brother has some linn saras. But these are in Spain, really expensive to transport to and from there, especially if they dont sound nice. I do like the idea of some high quality relativly small speakers. Just been listening to my set up and I'm amazed at how nice it sounds even with the old Jamo speakers.

12. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Bedini amp = shahinian arcs

13. Mikerhayward

Mikerhayward Member

So I understand. Might just be a bit to radical for me.

14. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

Do you mean that they are on the 3.5m wall? If so is your listening position against the back wall? In which case that's quite a long way from the speakers. My room is 4.5 x 3.5 and I have the speakers on the long wall, after some years on the short wall. Some speakers work best with width, so you have to consider that.

Perhaps start to clarify your preferences now. Do you want pinpoint imaging? Tonal richness? You've dismissed Shahinian Arcs, but why? Do you not like the idea of omnidirectional? If so, what about Compasses? They are quite a nice compromise and about right for your budget second hand, although not easy to come by.

15. ex brickie

ex brickie pfm Member

If you want decent quality and want to save some £ I have Totem Mites for sale in maple. Very neutral but detailed sound. Not as difficult a load as some high quality standmounts.

http://www.audioreview.com/product/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/totem-acoustic/mite.html
    https://www.gramophone.com/blog/product-review-totem-mite-bookshelf-speakers

Whilst not the deepest of bass as they are small speakers they go surprisingly low for their size. Look great too. They can fill a room your size

These were £900+ when new. Mine are in super condition - selling for £300 plus postage/courier

PM with an email address for photos

16. Mikerhayward

Mikerhayward Member

Hi. Yes the speakers are on the short wall. This is the best place for listening. I can then let the speakers breath and I can change my listening distance as I wish. I'm not really into analysing sound, time i've worked out if the imaging or tonal balance or other aspects are any good the track will have finished. I just like to listen. Early yardsticks for me were linn Isobariks, of late Klipshorns which both sound fantastic to me anyway. But not suitable in my environment, and a bit too costly. If the music sounds terrific then thats good enough for me. I have not dismissed the Shahinians. I said the may be too radical for me. I don't live alone and life is a compromise. Shaninians are a bit unconventional in the way they look. Not heard any yet either. Cheers Mick

17. Mikerhayward

Mikerhayward Member

Hi, Thanks for the offer. I have lots to think about following all these posts. Will have t let you know. Cheers Mick

18. ex brickie

ex brickie pfm Member

It sounds like the reference points you’ve heard have prodigious bass. If that’s what you want you will need floorstanders. I have preferred tight bass rather than low bass hence really good standmounts

19. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

20. Mikerhayward

Mikerhayward Member

Hi, you are right they did demonstrate low base but with lots of control. Lots of detail and transparency too. Sources are pretty inflential as well. I also like a tight well controlled bass. Hence my use of early kans. But I think good stand mounts will better meet my needs. M.