1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Suitcases

Discussion in 'off topic' started by garyi, Sep 27, 2019.

1. garyi

garyi leave blank

We have some 'hard' suitcases that don't appear have a name on them but anyhow the wheels have fallen off, to be fair they are ancient.

I had a look in tackymax but all they had seemed to be generic stuff with various clothing manufacturer names on.

I looked on amazon at samsonite which I understood to be good stuff but their offerings at around the 140 quid mark look no better in terms of wheel quality than the 60 quid options in the tackymax.

So any how we need a couple of largish hardcase suitcases with wheels up to 150 each. Any recommendations?

2. Amber Audio

Amber Audio Trade: Amber Audio

3. HairyHaggis

HairyHaggis <((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>¸.

Antler are def worth a look. Got a couple of the new model earlier this year and very happy with them

4. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

My parents had a Samsonite suitcase that came unattached from the roof rack at around 70 mph. A slight dent on the corner, bit scuffed, stayed closed and continued to be completely usable, in fact they still have it.

This was 50 or so years ago though, they may not be as good these days.

5. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

6. gintonic

they are pretty good. The wheels are way better than Antler, and worth the extra

7. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

I got one of these for my trip to Lyon:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8805915

Great value and not too shabby quality.

I'm not likely to use it much, so longevity wasn't an issue, but it seems robust so I'm sure it will be good for a long time.

8. kevinrt

kevinrt pfm Member

You won’t be able to afford a holiday, but hey...you’ll have a nice suitcase.
    :)

gintonic likes this.
  9. gintonic

I have one bought for me by an employer decades ago. I used it for 11 maybe 12 years of 40-50 flights per year, in some pretty inhospitable places. It is a bit battered but it never let me down.

For our personal travel I swear by Samononite now. We've been through untold numbers of no name and Antler cases, and either the locks fail, or the wheels break/drop. We have 4 Samsonite cases 2 x medium (spinners I think) and 2 x small (some airlines accept them as carry on) and they are unmarked.

10. garyi

garyi leave blank

The fashion seems to be to have the wheels stuck right out there my concern is a couple of goes round the carousal and its game over

11. garyi

garyi leave blank

I checked out the spinner ones are the wheels pretty robust then?

12. matt j

matt j pfm Member

My old man and his Mrs go away about 3-4 times a year and have done for the past 15 years or so, all his cases look fine and he'd never mentioned a wheel getting bashed off, I've no idea what make they are (he's away now) but knowing him they will be the cheapest pieces of crap he could find at the time.

13. gintonic

so far so good - I'll dig out the actual model for you when I'm back from the pub

14. garyi

garyi leave blank

Ta, The ones we are looking at one amazon are around 140 each (200+ in john lewis, the internet won sadly)

15. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Samsonite, the smugglers choice.

16. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Samsonite.
    Wait for deals on hotukdeals.com

17. Thorn

Thorn pfm Member

I recommend Eagle Creek suitcases. They have a lifetime guarantee, and, more importantly, a built-in bottle opener.

18. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

American Tourister is a Samsonite sub brand, they are good quality & can bought in John Lewis. Samsonite are the best though.

19. mjd

mjd pfm Member

I use LuggageX, its cheap, less than £50, lightweight and has survived everything the luggage handlers could do to it!!

20. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

We got 2 of these for our hols to California this year. They survived the baggage handlers, and only picked up a few scuffs. For the price, and a 10 year warranty, seems a very good deal to me.

droodzilla likes this.