1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Superfi liquidation auction

Discussion in 'audio' started by Stunsworth, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

2. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Been after some heavy duty boltless racking for ages. Result.

3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

You are indeed. Decent fork lift, only 2000 hours. That will get more interest than the stock.

4. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

I started negotiating to buy a pair of black kef r300s with a big chunk out of an edge the day before they closed down. They are not in the list nor are the exdemo white R300s they also had in the shop. Disappointed. Might bid on the brown R300s but I only want the drivers and so am likely to be outbid by someone wanting full speakers. I wonder if they might have held back significantly damaged stock?

PS They don't seem to be holding back damaged stock given a few other kef speakers seem to have less severe but similar damage. Odd.

5. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

so they really are gone. lots of stuff. poor arrangement of items? since so many of same item should have done it differently? I see a Linn Sondek LP12

6. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

35 % fees on top of sale figures or thereabouts

7. Bob B.

Bob B. pfm Member

Yes. That looks like it is fitted with a keel and an Ekos SE so iam surprised it is listed as£1699 RRP.

8. simon g

simon g Grumpy Old Man

Don't forget the VAT on buyer's fee of 15%, so 18% in total, plus VAT on hammer value.

No indication of venue for inspection? Given the lamentable state of two purchases I made from Superfi, I would strongly reccommen inspection. I suspect much of this is returned stock, even if not shown as such. No warranties at all for this kit. A very big risk to buy unseen. If the price is low enough then maybe worth a punt, but I suspect that the ebay 'dealers' will be all over this, along with many of the more legitimate dealers.

hifinutt likes this.
  9. simon g

simon g Grumpy Old Man

I also looked further in to this; you have to register a debit card (not credit card, has to be a debit card) on the auctioneer's site. That's me out then.

10. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Blimey, that’s like leaving an open wallet and no sec 75 protection either.

11. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

The last thing I bought from superfi was broken when it arrived. I guess there's no returns on this either.

12. canonman

canonman pfm Member

During the last year, virtually all UK auction houses have stopped accepting credit cards and there is no chance of return anything.

13. Ragaman

Ragaman Mentalist

Another one bites the dust.

14. brumjam

brumjam pfm Member

This sort of ‘deal’ makes fleabay’s terms look competitive.

Weekender likes this.
  15. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

First thing that popped out is that another HiFi retailer has went to the wall very sad. I'm not sure a lot of people understand spare cash has dried up for many. Yet many who caused the crash are richer now than they were before the crash.

Nytechy likes this.
  16. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

I am not convinced this has anything to do with spare cash......just spending habits and listening habits changing. Most of my listening is through Amazon Alexa devices. When I am cooking I'll use my Unitiqute for internet radio or local streaming. I get to use my main system about once per month, and rarely with vinyl, sometimes with CD and mostly with streaming. My listening habits and needs have changed - I no longer have a huge interest in HiFi Equipment... I did look at that sale, as I fancied a pair of those KEF powered all-in-one streaming speakers (LSX?). But the terms of the sale put me off.

Looking at the similar bids for items, I suspect some certain large second hand HiFi dealers are looking to hoover up the most saleable items.

I.D.C. likes this.
  17. Hifi_swlon

Hifi_swlon pfm Member

Unless you’re local getting hold of the goods will be a hassle. So auction markup plus Vat plus no warranty - would only make sense if they go for peanuts but my hunch is will end like eBay. Be interesting just to watch

As for why, could have just been a bad business but I guess everything is a factor - aside from wealth there’s a definite lifestyle shift away from sitting in a room listening to your hifi. Things are much more sociable - multi room etc and portable - headphones, and high end home cinema. Most hifi places have adapted to adjust.

drummerman likes this.
  18. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

No way would I bid on anything

19. drummerman

drummerman pfm Member

Indeed. Legacy hifi, which already was niche is likely becoming even more so. Anybody not jumping on the bandwagon of DSP, multi room and lifestyle will find it increasingly difficult to survive except perhaps some Dinosaur brands supported by Dinosaurs. We know what happened to them.

The future is streaming only, no physical media through good looking small systems/powered speakers ideal for the smaller living spaces most have these days.

AJ has long predicted that and everything points towards that he was spot on.

I'd be amazed if companies like Naim will spend much development time and money on old style separates in 5 years time or even sooner.

20. TonyScarlett

TonyScarlett pfm Member

Sad but true, I guess I'm a dinosaur, I will never stop listening to my CDs & vinyl but will I continue to invest in the hardware now that CD quality (and better) streaming has become so easy to access?

drummerman likes this.