1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Superfly Records - superb reissue jazz/funk/rarities!

Discussion in 'music' started by tedmanzie, Nov 3, 2017.

1. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

Couldn't see another thread about this.

I picked up a brilliant jazz reissue in Sounds Of The Universe a couple of weeks back - 'Spirit Speaks - The Descendants of Mike and Phoebe' which apparently is a very rare LP originally on Strata East records. Anyway, the quality of the reissue is SUPERB - beautiful pressing, printing and attention to detail. Seems to be a French label but pressed and printed in Japan (?)

I've since picked up several more from Honest Jons, they are about £20 per LP, all equally as nice.

Here's another one, apparently a super rare Strata East:

Highly recommended!! :)
    Graham H likes this.
  2. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

Thank you, I know hes' got the Mike and Phoebe album, but will get the Erotica for my friend as i know he has a lot of the Superfly records, but i don't think he has the John Gordon album.
  3. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

Spirit Speaks - The Descendants of Mike and Phoebe & other Strata East titles also out on pure pleasure records & these are 100% AAA & pressed at pallas in germany
  4. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

Thanks good tip!
    I wonder if the two reissues of Mike & Phoebe are related? I might email superfly and ask about how the remastering was done.
  5. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Imagineer

I have Etta James 'The Right Time' on Pure Pleasure Records and I can confirm it's a very good pressing indeed.
  6. hockman

hockman pfm Member

The Superfly guys are great fellows, I know them well. Their reissues are usually very meticulously done and they only seek to put out the rare, hard to find stuff. BUT I believe that most of it is digitally remastered from rare original vinyl records since the tapes are not easily obtained. There are exceptions I think.

I generally don't buy reissues but I do own a number of Superfly ones.
  7. daytona600

Doubt Superfly are analogue , 99% of all records are digital source
    even if they use a tape as a source will be a 2nd generation copy or back up tape & not the mastertape
    & will be converted to digital for mastering & the cutting lathe will have a digital preview head not analogue

But they are very well done reissues with excellent packaging have both but only played the PP version & as always sound is excellent , Mastered by Ray Staff at Air London & Pressed at Pallas Germany Pure Pleasure are always Pure Analogue ( AAA ) the for last 20years
  8. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

Thanks good info!
    I got a reply from Superfly too:

"The mastering is done in Japan with no noise reduction with a view to make it sound as close as possible to original vinyl. we sometimes have the original master but it does not [always] sound that good. Covers are made in Japan also, the vinyl is from Record Industry in Holland and we love their quality."

Would be interesting to compare the PP reissues. The Superfly's sound fine here though, they are obviously done with love! :)
  9. hockman

hockman pfm Member

This is probably correct. Superfly is not an audiophile label. The owners are ex-DJs who love their music and their goal is to put out rare records whereas Pure Pleasure focuses more on "audiophile"-oriented reissues.

10. hockman

hockman pfm Member

I am playing Superfly's A Spirit Speaks reissue as I type this. It's really nice sounding; am not sure if the Pure Pleasure can top this, perhaps it will be a bit different sounding. Can't tell if the master tape was used but I am guessing it would have been digitized somewhere along the way in any case.
  11. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

Thanks for this. Interesting stuff.

In a similar vein, although more soul jazz, are the Kevin Gray cut Jazz Dispensary titles. They have made a superb job of the Henderson, and Rusty Bryant Fire Eater is arriving this week. Charles Kynard’s Afrodisiac is also on my shortlist. Great records:

MusicMiles likes this.
  12. hockman

hockman pfm Member

Interesting that these titles are being reissued in an audiophile format. Didn't think that there is that much demand for them.

Generally I don't like reissues (except for the odd rare/expensive title). I'll continue to look for the originals. They are not that rare or expensive (unlike some of the Strata East titles above) and I've come across them before in recent years. In fact I picked up the Joe Henderson and the Azar Lawrence more recently and I've certainly seen the Gary Bartz and VIbes of Truth around before.
  13. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

I could only find the Henderson at over £60 for an original in good condition (currently one original copy on Discogs at over £90 in the US). I’ve never seen a copy of the Rusty Bryant apart from a former cheap reissue which is probably best avoided.

I’m OK with reissues as long as they are done well. Don’t know where you live Hockman, but North Norfolk ain’t blessed with record shops full of interesting stuff - unlike Liverpool and London in the 70s and 80s..........

If you have a spare original copy of the Charles Kynard, or know of a nice copy at your local dispensary, please contact me.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  14. hockman

hockman pfm Member

15. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

Phew! I thought you’d struck a goldmine there for a minute.........

For those interested, I’ll try and remember to report back on Fire Eater. If it is as good a mastering/pressing as the Henderson I’ll be tempted by Afrodisiac too - although it looks like I’ll have to pay a premium. These are great records under represented for far too long in the UK.
  16. daytona600

Fire Eater , Henderson Afrodisiac same as the others & sounds excellent , do not have a originals to compare
    180gram pressed Quality Record Pressings and remastering by Kevin Gray are about as good as it gets
    & old school tip-on jackets Mastering seems to be 24/96 file as kevin gray always works in AAA
    masters must have been in poor condition or lost or needed to be cleaned up/repaired
  17. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

Glad to hear they sound excellent Daytona. Looking forward to Fire Eater and Afrodisiac. In the mean time Henderson’s Elements getting repeat playing, esp side two. Wha wha pedal sax? It had to be done........

I hope Superfly reissue Harold Vick’s Don’t Look Back originally on Strata East. Been after that for ages, but usually silly money.
  18. daytona600

Another great one in the Jazz Dispensary Series
    Pucho & The Latin Soul Brothers - Jungle Fire
  19. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

At this rate I’m going to be bankrupt!

I found a hardback SH copy of this book not long after it had been published. It’s got a bit expensive now, but it’s essential for anyone interested in the music on this thread. Some great record sleeves, mostly Musician lead indie DIY, and informative background info on the likes of Strata East, ESP, Saturn, and many more. Highly recommended:

20. hockman

hockman pfm Member

I can see the kind of jazz you like. Spiritual and perhaps "rare groove" type of music. I've bought some Strata East records over the years but they are now getting more sought after and prices are shooting up. Same for Black Jazz records.

But don't stick to these titles because they are beginning to cost silly money. There are many other records in a similar vein that are easier to find and priced more reasonably. I've managed to snag a lot of 1970s Joe Henderson Milestone records for reasonable money in recent years. (They are all US originals except for The Elements, I checked:p). An early or 1st pressing of Charles Earland's Black Talk can still be found for about US$20-25. There are many other spiritual jazz albums released on Muse. And don't forget the 1970s John Patton albums on Blue Note, they are killer! All can be bought without having to sell a kidney.