1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Suppliers thread - Where to buy various parts (primarily UK/Europe)

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by sam_cat, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Lidl sometimes do selections of Heatshrink in various sizes at a reasonable price - of course you need to have a nearby Lidl and go in the week they have it....

2. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

If the last few cm of fabric are hidden inside the lamp I'd just put a few zip ties around it. It can fray up to the first zip tie but shouldn't get any farther. Similar idea to hemming fabric in a way.

3. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

Any local electronic service shops near you?
    Repairers or installers of domestic appliances, CCTV, e-locks, PA, DJ eqipment, pretty much anything electronic, should be able to part with a small amount...

4. gingermrkettle

gingermrkettle Deep vein trombonist

5. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Following on from my request for help finding shrink sleeving in small quantities.. I've now had several offers of small quantities by post. Thanks to all. I've always found fishies to be generous.. even (most of..) the ones who are wrong about politics in the off topic section... ;)

I've also had computer discs sent to me, and I've fired off a few bits including an unused Chromecast Audio to deserving folk.

I don't know if anyone wants or can use these....

Some nice capacitors which I bought for my Papworth amps. I used them to by pass the main power caps but I was told that they would be unlikely to have any audible effect below full output and I took them out when I flogged the amps. Can't say I noticed any difference from them being fitted and I'm not sufficiently clued up to know about such things. They're yours if you can use them. Used, but not abused.

AudioLinks Caps: 8 off CPA 5u J450 and 8 off CPA 0u1 J450. Used, but not abused.

PM me if you want them.

6. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Well peeps. Since I made such a fuss about getting a few bits of shrink sleeving for re-wiring my lovely kitsch 1940s 'Jane' lamp.. I though you deserved a pic of the result.

She still needs a suitable lamp and I'm thinking maybe a nice globe or one of those new 'retro' bulbs with antique coloured glass.. but I won't be going to any shops in the near future so she'll have to wait a bit.

The little torpedo switch was a nice buy. Plastic, but really well thought out inside. I went for double pole and I've also run an earth from the brass base which tests show is effective for all parts of the metalwork... which is nice. It never had an earth all the time it was in use at home from late 1940s to probs about 1970. :eek:

Many thanks again to BarryMagrec who sent me a bit of shrink sleeving and to others who offered.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VT7gs1TA5xqEJQkx7

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    sam_cat likes this.