1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Surely it should have been in a Ford?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by canonman, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Basil

Basil Harbethian

[​IMG]

Is it not blindingly obvious that there are many out there that do?

2. barrymidd

barrymidd Who me?

Or just take revenge on them? We are all (in fact all living things are) a product of our environment (ask Greg). We are what we are and we do what we do. Rules and laws are just a smokescreen to fool ourselves that we are more civilised than we really are. Good people are good people and bad people are bad people, always were and always will be. Our environment makes us who and what we are not the rules of so-called "civilised society".

3. packtech

packtech Ex band member twice.. :)

Hell, I love the way this thread is going, Let's not shout "fight in the playground sir" on this one...for one, I want to watch....Fighting, I just love it, could watch it all day..:)

4. afewbeers

afewbeers more sense than money

That V12 sounded wonderful.

5. barrymidd

barrymidd Who me?

Oh yeah!

6. afewbeers

If I had my way cars would have to have a minimum of 6 cylinders, with tax breaks for 8, 10 and 12 cylinders and would have to pass stringent noise tests to ensure they sounded suitably exciting. The only exception would be a 4 cylinder Citroen DS, as long it was in black.

An accident involving a hybrid or alternative fuel system car would automatically be deemed as own fault, in fact you would get three points just for owning one.

Speed cameras would be set to fine dawdlers and lack of progress. Driving tests would require mastery of opposite lock, heel and toeing, and how to identify areas to achieve good 'air'.

7. Alexander

Alexander pfm Member

I'm actually a closet heel and toer - my wife really doesn't like me doing anything fancy or nervous on the road. She never notices that our car would oscillate wildly if you downshifted that quickly without blipping the gas - braking or not. Blipping isn't the right word for it either - I have to do it a second early because the engine is very slow to react.

8. afewbeers

Modern engine management systems tend to make throttle response a little woolly which doesn't help things.

9. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

Steady, speed-heads ....

Motorway speed limit could be raised to 80mph

Speed limits on the motorway could be increased to 80mph in a bid to increase productivity, Philip Hammond, the transport secretary, has suggested.
    Mr Hammond said that safety might no longer be the sole consideration in judging how fast cars can go and that gains to the economy from shorter journey times should also be taken into account.
    Britain's maximum speed limit has been 70mph since 1965 and is lower than most in continental Europe.

Mr Hammond, who drives a Jaguar XJ saloon said: "We need to do this on a pretty rigorous cost-benefit basis.
    At the moment there are a clear set of criteria for making these decisions.
    Perhaps we ought to ask if we are using the right set of criteria."
    There were 132 deaths on British motorways in 2009, the last year for which full figures are available.
    In France and Italy the maximum speed limit is 81mph. In Ireland, Spain and Portugal it is 75mph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8350157/Motorway-speed-limit-could-be-raised-to-80mph.html

10. Mescalito

Mescalito pfm Member

Poe-faced bugger, rasher. You aked in your post why do manufacturer's make cars capable of exceeding the speed limit.

The answer is because people like to drive fast. No more, no less.

Now, you may be some kind of risk-averse bore, but many are not.

Chris

11. dss

dss Musical Bons

I saw that too, perhaps this is a counter strike in The War On The Motorist is it?

DS