1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Surge protectors-why is it restricting sound?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Philim, Apr 15, 2013.

1. markt

markt hello

Unplug or switch off as many household items as you can, all the stuff that doesn't strictly need to be on all the time (ie don't unplug the fridge unless you are looking for divorce) that wall wart that charges the AA batteries or the cooker hood that although isn't using power when sitting idle still has X-caps across when not switched off at the wall socket. Loads of little things that can be switched off some of which you might have even forgotten about.

That sound a bit better? It does doesn't it! Saved some electricity and an expensive upgrade too.

Mark

2. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

Do they still sell basic extension strips WITHOUT surge protection? I'm looking for one with a 3m flex on it...

3. markt

markt hello

Most of the budget ones in DIY depots and supermarkets will come without surge protection or just snip it out of the slightly more expensive ones if you are that way inclined.

Or go for something butch and long lasting, like from here, very good VFM:

http://www.olson.co.uk/

They will supply practically anything reasonable you could want on request.

Mark

4. ToTo Man

Out of interest, does an individually switched extension strip also increase the impedance/resistance to the incoming supply? Just wondering if I'd be better buying a strip without switches.

5. markt

markt hello

Only if the switch contacts become carbonised through arcing (switch parallel suppression caps can sort that) or covered in gunk, if you don't strictly need them why have them? Btw the Olsen products above can be bought without the neon indicator which is good, neon is another little noise nasty you can hunt down and remove in your house.

Mark

6. ToTo Man

Mark, would these be a good stop-gap in the mean time:

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electric...ket-Extension-Lead-3m-12207536?skuId=12738243

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electric...sic-Extension-Lead-3m-12378901?skuId=12899529

The latter is only 10A rated, however I'd only be running my plasma TV and low-draw AV/computer equipment on it so should be ok (I'd be running my 2 amplifiers off the two-way strip).

7. markt

markt hello

They are just fine ToTo, plenty.

8. ToTo Man

Cheers :).

9. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

If you want to make it 13Amp presumably all required is to take the lead off a dead washing machine (eg) and replace the mains in?

10. markt

markt hello

I wouldn't, it's likely moulded shut with crimp connections inside, better to buy a wire it yourself job from the start.

11. sergeauckland

sergeauckland pfm Member

Except that the 50amp peaks don't come from the mains, they come out of the reservoir capacitors, which then are refilled from several succeeding mains cycles.

S

12. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Do these use internal busbars for the earth or a star/ hydra type o thing? Do folk see this as significant, of so has anyone modified a strip to this layout internally?

13. markt

markt hello

You mean the Olson ones? They are series wired live and neutral, the socket grounds and incoming ground are individually wired to a stud behind the face plate.

Mark

14. markt

markt hello

It won't make a jot of difference how they are safely wired imo, too small a resistance.

15. NRG

NRG pfm Member

A cap input supply will pulse the mains input and thus the wiring from anywhere between 4 to 6 times the DC amp current draw at twice the mains frequency.

16. TLS

TLS pfm Member

Torus or Bryston isolation transformers do not have filter capacitors.

http://www.toruspower.com/nbt-narrow-bandwidth-technology/

17. sergeauckland

sergeauckland pfm Member

I'm not referring to their isolation transformers, but to their statement that power amplifiers have peaks of 50 amps. That's plain wrong as current peaks come out of the amp's reservoir capacitors, not the mains.

S

18. DANOFDANGER

DANOFDANGER pfm Member

This would only be correct if they were on the same circuit let alone the same phase.
    Even then I am still having a hard time understanding how mains has such a big influence on the amplifier circuit.

19. markt

markt hello

I think this should be turned on it's head for a start.

What part of the transformer>rectifier>reservoir circuit provides total isolation of both common and differential mode noise from either side of the transformer?

The toroidal transformer is a wide-band device, with leakages and reactances, not to mention it as a pulsing ariel, so that is out.

Rectifier?

Rectifier diodes are also Varactors (resonators) by virtue of the series capacitance of the body of the diode, RF will pass by capacitance, so they are out.

Reservoir capacitors? Non-existing ideal capacitors would help, but in reality there is an inductance even in the fastest of reservoirs.

Not so infallable in the real world, power supplies pretty much cough up what they take in.

Is their something you know that has escaped audio knowledge thus far?

Mark

20. DANOFDANGER

DANOFDANGER pfm Member

No not at all I am open to anything that makes sense, I just was intrigued and couldnt grasp the understanding. This may be something I will have to look into.