1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Swisstone LS3 by Graham/Chartwell - what's this ?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Cato, Oct 11, 2018 at 11:04 AM.

1. Cato

Cato pfm Member

Seems like Graham / Chartwell is releasing some new LS3 derivative called the Swisstone LS3 -

Sealed box, 11 ohm load - around £1K rrp, anyone come across this?

https://www.pikdo.me/media/Bl5swschOzZ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I assume it’s British and they’ve secured the Swisstone name? Is Derek Hughes involved? A cynic might say it’s just more riding in the 3/5a coattails but if it’s the Graham team then good luck with the venture.

3. Cato

Cato pfm Member

Yes it looks like they must've bought the Swisstone name at some point - at a grand or so (reportedly) it is quite a bit less than their ls3/5 and ls3/5a offerings so perhaps they pitch it as entry level - dunno

4. htsdgrvs

htsdgrvs pfm Member

Any idea what those stands are?

5. Cato

Cato pfm Member

Not 100% sure but they look like some version of the Something Solid stands - Graham commission them in different sizes for their whole range. Seen them under their LS3/5As before

6. Strictly Stereo

Strictly Stereo Trade: Strictly Stereo

Those are Graham Audio's own stands for the LS3 and LS3/5A.

7. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Does that look taller than a usual LS3/5A cabinet, or is it just the perspective of the photo?

8. Strictly Stereo

They are roughly the same height, but the Swisstone LS3 is narrower and deeper than the BBC LS3 and LS3/5A. That is probably why the Swisstone model looks taller. The LS3/5A stands have been rotated 90 degrees to fit.

9. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Sounds very like the dimensions of......the Spendor S3/5R

10. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Any new speaker from Graham Audio is interesting...

11. Jodet

Jodet pfm Member

That is the biggest, ugliest, most plastic badge I have EVER SEEN on a speaker. WTF were they thinking?

12. htsdgrvs

htsdgrvs pfm Member

Darnit. Say what you want about the merits of taxation with or without representation, but your former colonies are woefully bereft of high-quality speaker/equipment support furniture.

13. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

I have contacted Graham Audio for more information.

Cato and TheDecameron like this.
  14. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Hmm, that's an interesting design decision. A narrower baffle means that even more baffle step compensation would have to be built into the crossover to get a satisfying balance out of them, if they're meant to be used free-standing. And the LS3/5A is already the poster child for maximum baffle step...

15. Strictly Stereo

They are pretty close.

16. sls4321

sls4321 pfm Member

Curious that it’s marked as trademarked. They don’t own the Swisstone trademark (it’s in use in Germany by the owner) and they don’t own Chartwell for that matter. On their website most of the products are called “The BBC LS/...”. Auntie might not be happy about that either. Maybe he likes IP litigation (I don’t, my wife got caught out for a large amount of money). Why not just call them “Graham LS/...”?

17. Strictly Stereo

https://www.grahamaudio.co.uk/news/graham-audio-announces-ls35/

As for the BBC labelling, those designs are produced under licence. It is all entirely above board.

18. sls4321

sls4321 pfm Member

I appreciate that, there are several licencees, none use BBC in the product name and I wonder if the license allows it. It implies the product is BBC approved.

The Swisstone and Chartwell mysteries are solved. Mr Graham incorporated two companies by those names in 2015 and they’ve been dormant ever since. My experience from my wife’s deceased business is that you have to register your trademark and I recall it cost her about £1,200. If anyone wants to call an audio range “Zen Junkie”, it’s yours for a grand. Registration of a company name gets you zippo.

That said, I’ve read that their LS5/9 and LS3/5a speakers are rather good.

19. sls4321

sls4321 pfm Member

Incidentally, how’s the DSPeaker x4 doing? I thought it a great product when announced in 2015, it then took 2 or 3 years to come to market, by which time I’d gone all-in-one.

20. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

The price is rather more like it for a small box with two pretty standard drive units... if a rather complicated crossover...