1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

System Pics 2015

Discussion in 'audio' started by JTC, Jan 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

Seeing as it's a new year, I've rearranged my room so that the ATCs are wider apart and more toed in than before. I really like the look of them this way (though the picture, being wide-angle, exaggerates the size of that coffee table, which I am sure some will be pleased to hear will soon be going).

I've also de-spiked the speakers as the right hand speaker has to be quite a way into the room to balance it with the left, so it will be pulled out for serious listening and pushed back afterwards.

Sounding pretty decent so far, though whether it is better or simply different is difficult to say at this point:

[​IMG]

2. johnhunt

johnhunt pfm Member

Kinda does make you wonder what the fuss was all about....enjoy

3. bownose

bownose pfm Member

Alas poor Yorik...
    ATCs do like a bit of air behind them.

My 2015 sistem is the same as the 2014 sistem except I felt I wanted to change felt mat on the old home-brew twirly-fier... I may change back for summer and back for winter and so on...

2014:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Um, thats it until I trash a cart. and then I just a DL103 and rip its soul from its shell to feed the mighty pinkness or purpleness.... unlikely as I stopped buying LPs but I sometimes like to watch them galloping around each other....

4. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

Nice room Nice speakers

I see no system ?

5. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

QUITE!

6. Vimtokid

Vimtokid pfm Member

Clivegrace, why did you stop on the LPs? That was a bit short-lived.

7. bownose

bownose pfm Member

40 records is enough for anyone really. It would have been 20 but two arms, two slip mats. Two phono inputs. A funny old journey.

EDIT: I think a lot of people will have disappearing systems in 2015. I can't lay claim to that as I have a frigging SSL workstation in my main room. Follow your passions no matter what unless it's super illegal and seedy...

8. JTC

JTC PFM Villager...

System is off to the right. Not much to see - black MDAC, SBT and SPL Phonitor (now that I've removed the valve preamp for simplicity). Will take a picture later.

9. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

You could just place them wherever you like ,even tight against the wall and use EQ/ active room correction to deal with any issues.
    Keith.

10. Sibbers

Sibbers pfm Member

Does that really work Keith? I always imagined that reflections would cancel some sounds out that EQs couldn't fix. I am completely ignorant though and have no clue how I would go about trying your suggestion. My speakers hate the close rear and side walls but my wife hates the impractical position of where they sound their best.

Edit. Lovely gear btw chaps. Very jealous of the space you have JTC and who wouldn't want unicorns playing their tunes?

11. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

ALways best to spend some time getting them in the right place really and sorting out any room issues you might have using good old acoustics firsts then use DSP afterwards. It looks like you are lucky enough to have enough room to play around and sounds like your wife doesn't mind too much?

DSP is very powerful however you can't add positive EQ really so best to try and sort this other ways if possible, also for obvious reasons DSP can't sort out the time differences between the direct and reflected sound although it can balance the levels.

I use DSP quite extensively, if fact I run my active crossovers in DSP with a little room correction and 'house slope'

I don't really have much latitude for moving things around in my room or even really adding much contour shaping absorption so DSP does help me out more than I would like really, the results are good but it would be better if I could sort the acoustics problems out in the room better

12. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

My system is in constant flux, it's always bits of wire and bits of wood in various states of finish, at the moment I'm building some speakers that I have been discussing over in the DIY room, here is my latest post there with some piccies

13. Purité Audio

Yes it really works,we took delivery of a pair of bass reflex speakers that had to be pulled halfway into the room, before they were bearable.
    Initially looked at passive correction which is perfect for higher frequencies, but lower bass can effectively only be dealt with electronically.
    Keith.

14. Purité Audio

Not strictly true, ( reflections) check out the Illusonic site,
    KR Keith.

15. Sibbers

Sibbers pfm Member

Thanks Gents, something to get me started on. I am fortunate in that my wife likes music and appreciates the better sound when pulled out, she just priortises how things look over how they sound and, in fairness, it still sounds great close to the wall. Just not as great. And I am a bit geeky.

16. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Hey Keith,

Had a good look over that website, maybe I can't find what you are specifically referring to, the author talks about early reflections in this article

http://www.illusonic.com/illusonic-room-equalization/

but that is only talking about amplitude not direct and early reflection impulse difference.

Taking down the level of bass node does help as it correspondingly reduces the level of the associated reflection/standing wave, however it still doesn't stop them arriving at different times, also the level of both the direct and reflected sound are reduced proportionally, getting your speakers and your chair in the best position by using measurement and looking at impulses and RT60 plots helps us break this relationship by getting us more of the direct sound. Adding various diffusers/traps etc helps break this relationship further by reducing the level of the reflection relative to the direct without reducing the direct. As you rightly point out this gets much more difficult as the frequency drops and DSP definitely helps here more than the rest of the frequency range as at least it helps get the levels correct which is better than having a great big hump in the response!!

Don't get me wrong, as you know I love DSP and I now integrate it into anything I build as a matter of course, I have found my best results have come from trying the understand what is actually going on rather than going for blanket treatment. DSP has had a bad name in the past for killing the music, this IMO came about because of blanket treatment, we now have to tools to more easily understand what is happening, using REW with the excellent value UMIK-1 that you sell is the best example of how user can learn what is occurring in their room. In the vein of this thread being about 2015 systems, if users just add one thing to their setup over the coming months, it should be one of these mic's. They are a real eye opener.

17. Tw99

Tw99 source last

It'd be nice to move the discussion elsewhere and keep this thread mostly to system pictures......

I think JTC's looks great :)

18. Purité Audio

Absolutely my fault, apologies,
    Keith.

19. playchess

playchess pfm Member

Happy New Year 2015 from France

[​IMG]

20. Tw99

Tw99 source last

No change to the system since I last posted picrures, but it's now in a new house.

As I mentioned in another thread, it sounds pretty dreadful at the moment. The room is really echoey and needs at least a very large rug, some curtains/blinds, and soft furnishings. Maybe it will need some proper acoustic panels as well, in time.

One thing it does illustrate pretty clearly is that ATC made the power LED on the C1 Sub waaaaaay too bright...

[​IMG]
    DPP_4104 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DPP_4103 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DPP_4105 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DPP_4106 by tw_tvam, on Flickr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.