1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

System pics 2018

Discussion in 'audio' started by thebiglebowski, Jan 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

2. htsdgrvs

htsdgrvs pfm Member

He's trying to avoid things going "off the shelf," that's the whole point.

Jonathan likes this.
  3. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

yes that's a totally different kind of design from what i have in mind - and since i'm not fettered down by shipping weight considerations i can use much beefier steel members etc and have a lot more freedom with the design. here's the basic prototype drawing i did to illustrate. one of the primary goals was to have all seemless members and mitred joints (rather than butted joints or any overlapping -which always looks a bit 'hack' to me)

[​IMG]

booja30 likes this.
  4. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

:)
    You know what, I'm quite ashamed to say I completely missed the "off the shelf" pun there when posting that. Must be slacking.

htsdgrvs and Jonathan like this.
  5. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Very similar to but no doubt cheaper than Mana...

6. per flemming

per flemming Registered User

Have yet to read the entire DIY thread, hope a few questions is welcomed

Indeed they look stunning

Puzzled by the rear port placement and same time they seem to work quite close to wall ?
    Would non ported version be possible ?
    Will any version be available at Wilmslow, either as DIY or finished pairs ?
    Did you create a BOM and cost calculation ?

Hope you have kept the Proacs, guess they are not that easy to improve, so looking forward hearing process

7. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

8. per flemming

Bill of Material
    Most manufacturers building products, regardless of their industry, get started by creating a bill of materials (BOM).

Guess you did not create one, perhaps many speaker engineers don't?
    Wilmslow proably need to if they intend to launch the speakers

The bill of materials can be understood as the recipe and shopping list for creating a final product.

9. Cereal Killer

Well in that case yes i did, i gave them the exact drawings and spec with all materials, quants and requirements. They manufactured my design.

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

The big drawback with shelf mounted kit is access to the rear, which itself can endanger I/Cs and other connections when swapping or whatever.

After a generation at least of many Target shelves (for mainly Naim), I gave up the ghost a few years ago and built a wooden 3 shelf unit away from the wall so I could get behind it.

11. per flemming

Pretty good if you have success

Still wonder why a (rear) port when placement so close to wall as it looks ?

12. Cereal Killer

Cheers per, I'm very please with the result. They are about 15cm from the rear wall atm, will be playing with placement over the next few days. The port is designed to have a little effect as possible. there no chuffing and not much air flow comes from them even when playing really loud, just a 'gentle flow'

13. sls4321

sls4321 pfm Member

This may sound bizarre, but the ESL-63 make me realise how good the Devialet digital phono amp is, compared to my previous Art Audio Silver Reference that cost a small fortune. Somehow it adjusts the noise level depending on the volume you're playing at, and you can adjust the equalisation curve, sensitivity, loading and load capacitance on the remote as the record is playing.

[​IMG]

14. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Nice drinks cabinet, what frequency does it resonate at?

Mike Reed likes this.
  15. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Can you please stop posting images of your T/T please.:D

darrenyeats likes this.
  16. sls4321

sls4321 pfm Member

The right hand side underneath is full of booze. Party tonight, tablecloth on top and it gets used as a makeshift bar.

17. andrews

andrews pfm Member

I like the Kadishman

18. joe9407

joe9407 actress/activist

the way it ought to be.

19. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Green Member

Try not to spill any red wine on the nice rug.

20. CraShWilliams

CraShWilliams Active Member

Theres some amazing systems and piccies here, i have serious envy, I really do.

I'm also a little nervous putting some piccys of my system up! In my defence, this is all very new to me and I'm slowly building it up - everything in my systems is second hand, here goes...

Audiolab 8000a (bought off of Ebay, this has been modded by Audio Cellar and I also had John at JS Audio upgrade the powersupply).

Cambridge Audio CXN Streamer, ebay.

Vienna Accoustic Bach Speakers, hifi shop on Tot Court Road, long gone - ex demo.

Dual505 TT, Gumtree.

Edge Phono Interconnects.

Analysis Plus Black Oval 12 Speaker Cable, ebay.

Aticama Eris Hifi Stand, ebay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.