1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

System pics 2019

Discussion in 'audio' started by mikeyb, Jan 1, 2019.

1. gryphongryph

gryphongryph Active Member

Gorgeous system, what speakers are those ?

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Now that’s very clean for its aga! Is it yours?

3. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

No, not mine. Neat, but a lot of wiring to untangle.

4. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Remainiac Terrorist

Do you twist the Revox when laying 10" reels?

5. Funk

Funk pfm Member

Mine's nothing much compared with some of the systems in this thread but it works for me (especially considering the sound-per-£ ratio).

Silent PC with 10-disk JBOD attached, running into an Audiolab M-DAC, XTZ A100 D3 amp and Celestion A3 speakers:

[​IMG]
    Here's a close up of the system:

[​IMG]

All up the DAC, amp and speakers cost me about £1,650. Truthfully the A3s are perhaps a little closer to the wall than I'd like but the right ones came up at the right price to replace my A2s so I nabbed them whilst I could.

Fretbuzz, Tarzan, MusicMiles and 6 others like this.
  6. jamesd

jamesd pfm Member

and don’t they have two volume knobs that need to be set independently?

7. gints

gints pfm Member

Silent? What are the disks?

8. Nagraboy

Nagraboy pfm Member

I wondered if that would be problematic before I bought my preamp, but in practise it’s fine in use.

9. TimF

TimF pfm Member

I also like how it actually works as a balance control as well! Agree that in practice, the dual volume knobs are no issue at all, and really quite delightful. Thanks for sharing the lovely pic of the insides of your 25R, makes my 25 look practically empty!

10. Funk

Funk pfm Member

SSD primary with a couple of 5400rpm Seagates on isolation mounts, although they spin down when not required. Music is stored on one of these drives which allows me to listen without the JBOD firing up (which it only does when access is needed to one of the disks in it). The fans in the PC are all eLoop Noiseblockers (approx. 21 dBA when running) although I usually only need the upper rear one running (there is a straight line of air intake through the front drive bays across the CPU cooler and then out the rear).

The CPU cooler is a Noctua NH-D15 twin-fan (approx. 19-24.6 dBA), the PSU is an EVGA 750 which only kicks in its fan when needed, same for the GTX1070, the fans are off 99% of the time. I've spent a lot of time making it as inaudible as possible as a music source. I did think about having a dedicated mini-PC (such as an HP 800 G2 Mini) but I would've spent half the time with the main PC running anyway so elected to find a way to make it do everything I wanted including being as quiet as possible. It's also got rubber bushes under each foot (as does the JBOD) to isolate it and the JBOD from the rack. The feet are actually the isolation ones from inside some of the external caddies I shucked to fill up the JBOD.

It's not quite completely silent but it's near-as-dammit close as I can get it to be.

The JBOD is a little noiser, however it's usually only on when watching a film or TV. It's an IcyBox IB-3810u3 and the fans it came with were very noisy (one 80mm in the PSU and a 140mm case fan) so I swapped them for Noctua ones too which made a big difference. The noisiest one is the 80mm PSU fan which isn't PWM-compatible so it's a constant speed. I fitted a speed controller inside the IcyBox to control the 140mm down to where it was almost inaudible. The disks in there sit around 30-32degC. I'd thought about doing away with the PSU fan but it's just not worth the risk of overheating.

11. monty

monty pfm Member

Usher Dancer Mini 2's :)

12. monty

monty pfm Member

no - just move slightly to the left :)

13. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

Were you at Stephen's book reading in Bath by any chance?

14. gints

gints pfm Member

Unexpected detailed answer, thank you. I thought jbod is some sort or raid, that is why asked. I have only one hdd in computer, it suppose to be quiet, it is not loud, just nasty pitch.

15. monty

monty pfm Member

Nope :(

16. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

I ask as there was someone with the signed Movement boxed set in front of me. You missed a very funny evening, i'm just waiting for volumes 2 and beyond.... His motivation to write was disagreeing with the others or not featuring enough..!

I have also returned to Naim with an Atom and haven't been disappointed at all.

monty likes this.
  17. brumjam

brumjam pfm Member

Picked up some rather nice Tannoy Berkeley’s tonight from a fellow forum member. I’ve got
    some stands for them in the car but they can wait until tomorrow. Snell E’s in the middle which have seen me through the last year or so.

[​IMG]

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I like that though! It is the best way to provide a balance control as you get the functionality without the additional pot in the signal path. My JC Verdier valve pre is just the same.

19. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

Looks like (Semi) vintage Tannoys are coming back in fashion, I'm waiting for Eaton's to arrive :D

brumjam likes this.
  20. Funk

Funk pfm Member

No problem. JBOD = 'Just a Bunch Of Disks'; it doesn't do any RAID, it just presents each disk as-is with an individual drive letter for each. It got to the point where 10x external HDDs was just getting silly, they take 10 plug sockets, need 10 USB 3.0 inputs. It was messy, not to mention the disks would get warm in their enclosures.

As I had data on them I didn't want to have to format and shuffle stuff around ideally - as it transpired, thanks to the way the external USB caddy manufacturers set things up there was an element of this involved despite my efforts to avoid it. What I have now with the IcyBox JBOD is 10 hot-swappable bays with a single plug and USB connection to the PC.

This is the one I have: https://www.raidsonic.de/products/external_cases/external_cases_35/index_en.php?we_objectID=3410

Neater, quieter, cooler and far easier to work with. Regarding your disk, they do tend to get noisier as they get older - is it an old disk? If it's just for bulk storage (not for OS) then get a 5400rpm Seagate which I've found to be the quietest, if it's your only disk and has your OS on it then get an SSD for the OS and a 5400rpm drive for storage, your PC will thank you!