1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

System pics 2019

Discussion in 'audio' started by mikeyb, Jan 1, 2019.

1. jamesd

jamesd pfm Member

can’t wrap my mind around that. I’ve used my balance control a handful of times. I use my volume control 20 times a day. What am I missing?

booja30 likes this.
  2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

There are many reasons one may want a balance control; imperfect room acoustics, imperfect hearing, slightly mismatched valves, vintage speakers with less than the +/- 1db pair-matching of the best of today’s etc etc, and if you want a balance control two separate volume knobs is the most minimalist/purist way of achieving it.

Wilson likes this.
  3. jamesd

jamesd pfm Member

I get the reason someone might want a balance control, but wanting to manually set each channel every time you adjust volume seems masochistic to me. A global balance or global subwoofer level or cartridge loading makes sense to me. I wouldn’t want to mess with them multiple times a day.

but people like Croft so maybe I’m alone! I want to hear that stuff but two volumes is as much of a non starter as a bicycle with a drivetrain for right and left

booja30 likes this.
  4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I find it very easy - the controls are visually obvious on both the Croft and Verdier, so setting them the same or with a consistent offset is easy enough. I’ve used them for so long now I don’t even think about it.

Wilson likes this.
  5. jamesd

jamesd pfm Member

i think that’s one of the reasons it’s seemed so crazy to me: they don’t appear to have markings on the face plate around the knobs. It it were marked like a clock or something I could see it not being much of an issue (for me personally).

6. monty

monty pfm Member

my signed print was given to me for a leaving gift from my old workplace about 9 years ago :)

Jono_13 likes this.
  7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

They are lying about their age, they are far, far older than eight.

brumjam likes this.
  8. narabdela

narabdela who?

Some people like string vests, go figure!

Tarzan likes this.
  9. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

But it isn't a fixed degree angle between the knobs you'd need to maintain, right? Say you have them set to 10/100 and 8/100 for low volume listening. Now you want to crank it, so the first goes up to 50/100, but the second would need to be at 45/100 (not 48). So there's a little bit of math or tweaking involved. :)

Even worse, you wouldn't be able to take advantage of nice stepped potentiometers because at low settings you would likely have noticeable imbalances one way or the other unless they were set the same. No fine balance control at lower volumes.

narabdela likes this.
  10. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

I may be overthinking this, but here’s how I use dual mono controls -

1. Set both to visibly similar position at required volume level.
    2. Is image where you want it to be? (NB might not be central if you have an offset TV and don’t enjoy hearing voices coming from the fireplace.) If so, stop.
    3. Having noted how much you need to move the image, tweak knobs accordingly.
    Go to 2.

With a couple of days’ practice you can get the number of iterations down to 1 or even zero.

11. jamesd

jamesd pfm Member

you are making me feel super lazy!

i could see it not being terrible if you could control both via remote, but it would drive me nuts to keep getting up to adjust it. but then again, it sounds like it's easier than i'm imagining it to be.

12. Spiderous

Spiderous pfm Member

Surely just moving your head left/right and/or up/down a few degrees renders the whole process of fannying around trying to get volume knobs aligned makes it all a bit arbitrary anyway?

13. matt j

matt j pfm Member

It's easy to get the hang of, but you're right that it's a faff.

Plus it set my OCD off into overdrive, I used to spend more time worrying that both weren't identical, than actually listening.

Weiss-Man likes this.
  14. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Get omni directionals

15. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

Great leaving gift. Sadly no one at work likes me that much ☹️

16. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Bit of a change around (again) the conquests have too much gain for the M7 so in comes a BP amp.

Audio Note (Japan) M7 silver with phono stage
    Border Patrol 300B SE

The phono stage in the M7 is phenomenally good, blows the Vida away which is quite a task.

[​IMG]

Rockmeister, echann, jamesd and 16 others like this.
  17. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

Now that really looks the part.

18. Colin L

Colin L pfm Member

Nice elastic band(?) on the carpet too. Acoustic tuning? ;)

19. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

LS3/5as back in the system for the first time in 23 years. Melco N1 into a Devialet 200. The Devialet is a very good match with the Falcons. It’s amazing what the Falcon LS3/5as are capable of reproducing with modern digital source and amplification.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Generator

20. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Remainiac Terrorist

Nice rug!

deebster likes this.