1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Tangerine Dream Concert

Discussion in 'music' started by Bob McC, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Tangerine Dream
    From Virgin Years to Quantum Years Tour 2020
    RNCM
    Wednesday 21 October, doors 7.30pm

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I might have to go to that. They appear to have got rather more interesting since installing Ulrich Schauss.

3. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

Tickets on sale tomorrow.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Are you going?

5. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

6. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I'm spent up with Loudon Wainwright III, John Grant and Tom Rush tickets.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Grabbed a ticket earlier. I was only a few minutes past nine and most of the good seats had already gone, I ended up off centre but still in the main seating block. I now just need to not die of Corona virus before October.

8. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

We caught what I presume is the current lineup at the Union Chapel year before last, introduced onstage by Froese's widow. Really enjoyed it as it was mostly back to the sequencer-driven stuff on the early Virgin albums, which were my introduction to the band.

Mick

9. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

Off to see them at the Roundhouse - hopefully Chelsea might be at home on the Saturday or Sunday before.:)

10. Fuller

Fuller pfm Member

Only saw TD once - way back in 1980 at Birmingham Odeon.
    They played behind a net curtain I recall.

11. mikeyb

mikeyb pfm Member

Only trouble is, it isn't Tangerine Dream ;)

Although I've no doubt they'll sound pretty good

ciderglider likes this.
  12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

To be honest if they had been late-period proper TD I’d not have booked, I’m not a fan of that stuff at all. Based on a look at YouTube a while back Ulrich Schnauss has worked wonders and managed to combine what was so wonderful about the early ‘70s Ohr/Virgin period with his own very polished ambient electronica (I have several of his albums prior to his taking over the TD franchise). It is a very interesting way for a band like this to work, i.e. no original members, and I can imagine Kraftwerk doing the same. Kraftwerk should just automate the whole thing and send robots out.

Wolfmancatsup and mikeyb like this.
  13. Wolfmancatsup

The situation reminds me somewhat of Dr. Feelgood - the band has had no original members for a quarter of a century, but the current lineup have all been in the band longer than any of the original members were...

14. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Worked for Renaissance too.

Strictly speaking, there is no-one in the current lineup of Kraftwerk who has been in the band since its inception. ;)

Wolfmancatsup likes this.
  15. Dougal

Dougal pfm Member

The current TD line-up (Yamane/Quaeschning/Schnauss) is the most interesting one since Froese/Franke/Schmoelling. Edgar Froese entrusted Thorsten Quaeschning with the Quantum project and I highly recommend the Quantum Gate two CD edition if you like TD's early 80s output and modern EDM.

Paul Mc and Wolfmancatsup like this.
  16. Wolfmancatsup

Ooh - didn’t know there was a 2 disc version...

17. Dougal

Dougal pfm Member

Gerard124 and Wolfmancatsup like this.
  18. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

AFAICT it's just a bundle with the Quantum Key 'cupdisc'.

If you want a 2CD set, I'd try CDS in Dundee, Spheric Music or Groove.

Wolfmancatsup likes this.
  19. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

I'm in for MCR too. Good venue to see them.

20. Sonority

Sonority pfm Member

Having seen the 'original' (or at least as original as they ever were) back in '76 no more than 200m from where they are due to play in October, I really wanted to go, but sadly not able. I always took TD to be something of a 'collective' with just Edgar at the helm, not unlike King Crimson.
    As said above, this version seems to have taken Edgars search for the original roots and going back there has proven evocative for me - Quantum Gate in point.