1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Tannoy Berkeley HPD385's

Discussion in 'Interesting eBay auctions' started by ToTo Man, Feb 20, 2020.

1. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Good grief, I’d be most surprised/shocked if Lockwood did that!

3. Johnjo

Johnjo pfm Member

No, surrounds were DIY, cones previously Lockwood.

4. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

He's revised his description then as it definitely said Lockwood for both the cones and surrounds, I'm glad he's now clarified that! I'm still left curious about why the surrounds would need to be re-foamed after just 8 years though. Must've had the speakers situated in direct sunlight?!

5. hermit

hermit pfm Member

Charming back story:

These speakers were owned by my late father, Mike Blackburn who was head engineer at Air Studios on Oxford Street in the late 70s to 80's. He worked for Sir George Martin (ex Beatles record manager). Dad bought the speakers after a studio refit, and I believe they would have been used in making many classic records. I have great childhood memories of seeing artists like Elton John, Duran Duran, and Madness recording there, and amazing surround sound effects at the christmas party. My dad used to show off the speakers by getting out his reel to reel master-copy of Live and Let Die by Paul McCartney, and play it very loud to show how ‘music was supposed to sound’!​

Stunsworth likes this.
  6. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

These aren’t too far away from me... should I maybe buy them as my first foray into Tannoy ownership?

I like bass, so 15” fit’s the bill, I don’t mind restoration, so taking care of the cabinets wouldn’t be a problem.

How much do Lockwood charge to re-surround??

7. mikeyb

mikeyb pfm Member

In 2017 they quoted me £420 to do a recone on my HPD385’s (15”) and £210 for a refoam.

Frank (Cooky) might do it for you no doubt be cheaper too.

Did you buy them?

8. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

No.

mikeyb likes this.
  9. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Thanks for the mentions chaps. the dodgy one may be beyond refoam rescue.
    I'm planning to offer two versions of refoam; 1, the Lockwood way, stuck to the front of the cone and 2, the correct way, with the refoam to the rear of the cone.
    The price is exactly the same, the Lockwood way takes about 90 minutes, the correct way takes about 12 hours.

ff1d1l, effinity, lawrence001 and 2 others like this.