1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Tannoy Eaton - Tweeter Failure?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Martian Sunrise, May 16, 2019.

1. Martian Sunrise

Martian Sunrise pfm Member

Hi all,

I have a pair Tannoy Eatons which have had the crossovers fettled by RFC and i think the tweeter is gone in one of the them. The sound is muddy on the vocal stuff and clearly not right.

I'd really like some advice/help, as I am not great on understanding the tech side of things.

Things to note - I have recently acquired a pair of EWA M50P/M50 pre/power amps, which I have rigged up to them, with no problems, until now. Last night was the only time i have put any volume through them (not crazy, mind).

They also had the slightest rubbing of the voice coil in the same speaker when they came back from Paul, but only with some serious bass being put through them.

I am assuming that they need to go off to someone (any recommendation?), but I would like to understand the cause, and if there is anything I need to consider (ie - is the SECA M50 too much for them?).

They are currently playing to a pretty loud volume with some Royd Minstrels and coping (they sound great).

Thanks in advance

Richie

2. calorgas

calorgas pfm Member

Hi Richie, with a bit of experimentation you may be able to re-align the voice coil to stop the rubbing. There are four nuts holding the spider in place, if you loosen them you can tweak the positioning and then carefully push the cone in and out to see if you can get it so it doesn't rub. While the driver is out you could check that the loss of hf isn't a loose wiring/connector issue, clean the pins of the plug etc.

(Cooky will probably be along shortly with a better suggestion).

Oh and I previously used a Quad 909 with my Eatons without a problem, though I only listen at moderate volumes at most.

cooky1257 likes this.
  3. Martian Sunrise

Hi Dave, thanks. That sounds like a best-case scenario!

I understood that that was the way to realign the voice coil, from my discussions with Paul. If it is pushed, it doesn't sound like it is rubbing at all. It really needs the massive bass at high volume to get it rubbing - I haven't done that with the new amp. Not really done it at all.

The plug was replaced two or so years ago, but it may be a connection somewhere - I hope so.

Am I safe in assuming that parts (if required) will be available?

I am going to admit to being far more confident to tinkering with old engines than i am with speaker innards, so i will probably take it to someone...

4. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Couldn't have put it better myself;-)
    All I'd add is just check the tinsel leads coming off the bass cone aren't fouling against the basket on large excursions-just move them, pinch/bend them a bit if need be.
    It's rare for a tweeter to blow they are 50w comp drivers, so first off I'd swap crossovers over to see if the fault follows the change if so its a crossover issue.

5. Martian Sunrise

thanks cooky

i will have a look inside when i get back from hols.