1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Tannoy Eaton

Discussion in 'audio' started by sunshine, Aug 6, 2019.

1. sunshine

sunshine pfm Member

My friend lent me a pair of Tannoy System 8, had it with me for 3 weeks. I was mesmerised by its imaging, so coherent and real! Very enjoyable. Not as transparent and sounded a bit dry though. A different presentation to Kudos C20 which I’m using. Now...several weeks had past, am still thinking about the Tannoy. Is the new Eaton a good contender? Well...not that I’m unhappy with the C20, but the big driver(8”) do play rock rather effortlessly. My first experience with Tannoy in my home. Didn’t manage to find many reviews on the new Eaton.

2. ToTo Man

ToTo Man the band not the dog

I had the System 600, which I also found a bit dry (not enough openness or air up top and a little too forward in the mids) and lacking in overall transparency. However, they were very cohesive, packed a punch and could fill my room with sound remarkably well given their modest (6.5"?) size. Brilliant value for money for the £150 I paid for them. I don't have any experience with the new Legacy range but I'd expect them to be a major step up in transparency and refinement compared to the lower models in the 'System' range.

3. brumjam

brumjam pfm Member

The Tannoy Eaton is a great speaker. Hifinutt will be along shortly to extol their virtues.....I’ve heard his Eaton’s on a couple of occasions and was very impressed.

hifinutt likes this.
  4. synapse

synapse pfm Member

had some and sold them...one of the stupidest things I've ever done....was in a suck it and see, move kit around frame of mind and didn't stop to think..hey hang on; I love these ;-(

5. John

John TDS free

The System 1000 have a 10 inch driver and sound wonderful in my system. A very similar sonic signature to my DMT 15’s. I’m sure the Eaton’s are fine speakers as well.

6. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

The Eaton Legacy model has appeared on my long-range radar. I currently have Harbeth 30.1s, but later in the year am considering going a step or two warmer/deeper sounding. So maybe Spendor 2/3 or something like that. The Tannoys look like they could be a good variant of that kind of flavour, and the treble adjustment could be useful because I'm a bit sensitive to too much poke in the high mids/treble.

But that name - Eaton. It might sound superficial, but I really struggle with it. Not sure I could be comfortable with pride of place in my living room being taken by something that intentionally draws on the associations of a place that for me is roughly synonymous with 'den of bastards'.

I still hope to have a listen if and when the time comes, so I'll be interested if anyone comes along with some impressions. But I almost want another model to sound subjectively better when I audition them, just because of the name :)

Mystic Mac likes this.
  7. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Thanks james , as many know i had martin logan summit x and these had to go sadly due to my beloved wife`s complaints . the tannoy eaton legacy i only got my mistake as they were in a dealers boot and he offered me to try them . well they have been here [new pair] for year and a half and they do not dissapoint . lovely imaging , tremendous bass , no fatigue . this is a pic of them . they have a very BIG sound and even though i have speakers 6 times the size elsewhere these are enjoyed a lot . They replaced some harbeth shl5plus which were super but my eldest hated them as they did not do Rock in his opinion . they did not like being near walls

the tannoy do not boom , do not mind being near walls and are front ported . If the op is any where near brum he is most welcome

[​IMG]ALIM0015 by , on Flickr

[​IMG]P1050287 by , on Flickr

8. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

https://theaudiophileman.com/eaton/

9. sunshine

sunshine pfm Member

Thanks for the link. I’d read the review and the System 8 do have some similarities as described.

Am happy with the Kudos C20, they are fast, transparent, detail and incisive. They do not image like the System 8, not as cohesive(not till when I heard the Tannoy).

Definitely different presentation, probably a lateral move for me perhaps. The System 8 did left me thinking though.

Thanks

hifinutt likes this.
  10. Tw99

Tw99 source last

Do you mean Eton ? Which is a pleasant enough town on the Thames, and isn't even spelt the same, so I'm not sure there's any intended association.

If you want to get phobic about names, what about the Tannoy "Westminster" ? I'm guessing there must be plenty of people there you don't like either !

Wilson and narabdela like this.
  11. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

Quite right, a rather dumb mistake on my part to conflate the two!

Does make one wonder, though, where the name Eaton comes from. Any idea?

12. mattgbell

mattgbell Stop worrying!

Maybe Eaton Hall near Chester, one of the seats of the Duke of Westminster, who's one of the UK's biggest property owners and worth about £10bn.

Which in turn makes one wonder how Tannoy is trying to position its brand ...

13. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Having lived in west Norwood near the factory , many of the names are roads there. Such as cheviot road and Canterbury

Rockmeister likes this.
  14. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Well the ‘Prestige’ moniker and stately home styling make it pretty clear, though presumably that is mostly for the Far East market.

15. eastone

eastone pfm Member

Brilliant!

Also Lancaster Avenue and Chatsworth Way nearby. Eaton Drive is half an hour away in Kingston...

16. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Just been flicking back through the latest tannoy history book reprint but cant find anything about eaton yet . Brings back many happy memories of living there , you may remember i said the local church near the factory had tannoy speakers instead of church bells I believe

17. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

And Turnberry Close is about the same distance away. Nice.

hifinutt likes this.
  18. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

If anyone in London or very close has a pair of the new Eatons I'd be fascinated to do a comparison with my old ones.

19. Dave***t

Dave***t pfm Member

Well, I’ve gone a bit mad and placed an order for a pair of Eatons, with a 30 day return option.

Apparently they may take a couple of weeks to turn up, but fingers crossed...

Tarzan, scotty38, brumjam and 3 others like this.
  20. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Quite envious...I'd love a pair here to try.