1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Tannoy Little Gold Monitor - any good ?

Discussion in 'classic' started by Operajulian, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Operajulian

Operajulian Opera Julian

I have the chance of picking up a pair of Tannoy Little Golds here in Toronto for a very good price.....

However, does anyone in Pink Fish land have experience of listening to them ?

I have a number of classic amps but are there any suggestions of a good match to drive them ?

Appreciate your thoughts,

Julian

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Very nice speakers, but don't expect any bass! The cab is arguably far too small for the driver so there's nothing really below about 50Hz or so. By saying that they have the nice Tannoy tonality and have a nice sense of scale and are very coherent. The classic studio mid-field pairing is with a Quad 303 or 405, though they are not demanding so will work fine with any decent amp, tube or solid state.

3. Operajulian

Operajulian Opera Julian

Thanks Tony :)

It's not a big room - in my basement ( the electronics den ). The current listening options are old pairs of B&W DM5 or Monitor Audio 252. Both of these have done well but I think it's time for a change.

I'll go and have a listen at the seller's home with your advice in mind.

Julian

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

They should work really nicely in a small room, they are a classic studio monitor either as a mid-field (i.e. between the small near-fields or large full-range monitors) or as a main monitor for small studio control rooms. You can adjust the compression driver level and roll-off so should be able to tune them in to taste a bit, e.g. if they sound a bit fierce try dropping either / both settings down a notch. They are certainly very good speakers and have helped produce many great albums over the years.

5. Robert

Robert Tapehead

I had a pair and they are very good but as Tony says, don't expect deep bass. However with some wall assist there is enough to sound satisfying and full range on most material.
    In small rooms they can actually work sympathetically with the room modes to some extent, since what bass you get is clean and controlled.

6. awl

awl pfm Member

I use a pair of LGMs in my main system and like them very much. Comments about their bass abilities are interesting; with other speakers I've had problems with out of control bass, due mainly, I think to the house being Victorian and having floorboards over joists with a void below.

7. Operajulian

Operajulian Opera Julian

Thanks for all of your input - much appreciated.

However, owner of said LGM had sold them by the time I got there :mad:

I'll keep looking.

Julian

8. Pac1

Pac1 Designer/Manufacturer

You might be better off looking for something with HPDs fitted Julian. Great in small rooms if fitted into sealed boxes like Chatsworths, but have genuine bass extension when put in larger ported cabinets. Plentiful on the used market.