1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

TDA 1541 cd players

Discussion in 'audio' started by Nigel, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

Just listening to my old souped up, Arcam Alpha 5 following a period of it living in the loft and wondered if anyone is still regularly using any of the older tda1541 cd players?

2. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Nigel,

I use a Naim CD2, which has a TDA 1541A-S1 (Single Crown) chip.

Not the last word in refinement but it sounds fun.

Joe

3. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

Ooh me me me!

Current collection is:

Sony CDP-555ESD
    Sony CDP-710 x2
    Sony CDP-337ESD x2
    Sony M75
    Philips CD960 (aka Marantz CD94mk1)

4. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

Sony CDP-337ESD here too.

Mike P likes this.
  5. Darmok

Darmok "A Priori Teleology."

6. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

My first CD system was Meridian 200 with Arcam Black Box (TDA1541) - a brief time was spent with an Audio Alchemy DDE v1.0 which had a 7323 Bitstream chip in it - which I liked in a different sort of way. I then had the opportunity to buy a Naim CDS at a really good price, so I went back to the TDA1541 and that was my last CD player. I always likes the slightly edgy presentation of the Naim, but when streaming came along, I sold it whilst it still had some value!

7. wpm

wpm pfm Member

Philips CD960 ( TDA 1541 ) into a Naim Supernait 2

8. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Oh yes, Naim CD2. Love it!

9. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Another Naim CD2 in daily use here :)

10. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

Ummm - I couldn’t easily remember all the 1541 players I have :) Favourite is one of 2 heavily modified Naim CDIs, which depends on the day of the week. Second is the Radford WS2 or 3 (just a PFM Flea in this), third an Adcom modified Sony implementation (just serviced) similar to Mike’s preferences.

There are lots of other good DAC implementations, but I keep coming back to the 1541a.

Richard

11. venton

venton pfm Member

Naim Cdi. Most enjoyable sounding cd player ever, says my ears. Tda1541 is a bit magical.

12. MJS

MJS Trade: Consultant at WH Audio

Naim CDI here. Slightly pimped as an R&D machine with most of Martin’s CD2 mods (thanks) it has a link plug and now an external power supply for the analogue stage based on a hicap, a la CDS PS. I’ve no plans to change it at all.

13. martin dawson

martin dawson pfm Member

I use a Naim CDS / CDPS an awesome analogue sounding machine.

Regards,

Martin

14. ssimon

ssimon pfm Member

I use a Zanden 5000 Dac which uses a TDA 1541 Double crown (whatever that means)
    Best digital sound I've heard.

15. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I had an Avondale A5+ for many years, a very highly enjoyable machine indeed!

Nytechy likes this.
  16. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

Marantz CD94 here. Since my Geoff Bull Mod Marantz CD75 died, I've been through Naim NDX, NDS, Hugo, Devialet, Linn Klimax. Sold the Linn last and bought the Marantz 94. More than happy with the sound. Sounds more like musicians making music than the others. I had an Audionote DAC 0.1x but it made the sound harder. Better without.

hairyderriere likes this.
  17. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

Geoff Bull that's a name I haven't heard for years. Is he still modding CD players? He used to beef up the power supplies if I remember correctly. Probably did a lot more too.

18. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

The Klimax DS is easily the most resolving source I’ve heard, however a well implemented TDA1541 design can be amazingly fun, there’s definitely something very special about them.

19. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

I've tried finding him on the internet but nothing came up. I hope he's well. I saw him in about 1988. I worked for a dealer at that time and took the CD75 into the shop. It easily beat a Merdian transport/dac combo and the Sony CDP555ES that we had on dem.

20. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

Indeed the Linn Klimax was the best streaming option. Once I had the Marantz, I still hadn't sold the Linn. I wasn't tempted to make a comparison. I'm sure the Linn provided more detail but I'm not sure if I would have preferred the presentation over the Marantz. Probably not.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.