1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Teddy Cap Plus v Naim NAPSC-2

Discussion in 'audio' started by Disbeliever, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Disbeliever

Disbeliever pfm Member

Which would be best for Naim NAC 202 pre-amp , Teddy Cap plus or Naim NAPSC-2

2. Peter Stockwell

Peter Stockwell Fried Man in Paris

Well, they are not the same beast. A Napsc supplies the digital circuits, only. A TC+ functions as the equivalent of a Hicap and a Napsc. On the face of it, a neater solution.

3. Disbeliever

Disbeliever pfm Member

What does a Hicap do and which is best TP power supply to go with NAC 202 Pre- which I will audiion first at home before buying a power supply , which I am sceptical of making much of an improvement ,just bought NAP 250 DR awaiting 202.

4. GavinB

GavinB pfm Member

Well you're going to need something! The 250 can't power the 202.

(And that something needs to be of the Hicap/Teddycap variety; as said above, the NASPC won't do this.)

divedeepdog likes this.
  5. Whatsisnaim

Whatsisnaim pfm Member

202/250 is not a combination I would have chosen. Did you listen to this combo before buying? I would have gone with 282/200, 202/200 or 282/250.
    Either way, if you’re looking for a PSU then a TC Plus makes sense to me, combining NAPSC and Hicap in one box.

6. raysablade

raysablade pfm Member

Received wisdom seems to be that NAPSC solution you choose has no material impact on the sound, given that it only works the switches and is therefore only drawn on when you make a change that makes sense. I'd focus on the impact the analogue power supply has on the sound of your set up rather than aesthetics. If you like the Hi-Cap sound and baulk at the price you might be able to pick up one of the old Avondale NAPSC substitutes for relative peanuts.

7. Peter Stockwell

Peter Stockwell Fried Man in Paris

As others have pointed out, if you chosen combination is a 202/250DR, then you will need a Hicap, or a Teddycap of some sort. The napsc will not do much for you, other than light up the switches on your 202.

If you are going to buy a Teddycap, it's not much more to get the TC+ that integrates the Napsc equivalent power supply.

I suppose naim is a certain rite of passage, I've been there, spent the €€€€ (or the ££££). Imo, you'll never got long term satisfaction with naim without spending €€€€€ !

It is far better to run 282/200 rather than 202/250. Imo, the preamp has more impact on overall SQ than the poweramp.

8. Disbeliever

Disbeliever pfm Member

its the NAP 250 DR that I bought not the 250.

9. GavinB

GavinB pfm Member

You're going to need either a Hicap or Teddycap to power your pre-amp - the 250 DR can't do that.

htsdgrvs likes this.
  10. Whatsisnaim

Whatsisnaim pfm Member

Yes, I realise that. I would still go for 282/200 myself (with the option of leaving out the Hicap if you want to keep it simple.) Of course, you do not have to agree with me.

11. echann

echann pfm Member

I'd take a 282/200 over a 202/250 any day. Naim preamp upgrades make a huge difference in my experience (32.5,102,82,52).

12. Njb

Njb pfm Member

Unlike the 200DR, the 250DR does not have the power out for a preamp. I went 202/200 to 282/200 to 282/250.2 and I have used a TeddyCap with all of them. You will find plenty of threads about the relative merits of TeddyCap vs HiCap etc. I have always been happy with the TeddyCap but it does give a different presentation to a HiCap, and so I guess that it comes down to preference. I was happy with the 202, it is not a bad preamp at all, but the move to 282 was a big step up in transparency and dynamics.

13. Ponkbutler

Ponkbutler pfm Member

That's neither the received wisdom nor what personal experience demonstrates. IN most cases 202/200 owners go for the NAPSC first and the HICAP later, assuming they cannot afford them immediately.

14. Ponkbutler

Ponkbutler pfm Member

Ditto. And of course the 282 comes with a NAPSC.

15. raysablade

raysablade pfm Member

Reading that back I did not make my point very well. Something that does the NAPSC job well is the priority, it just does not need to be a NAPSC.
    Once you have got that in place you can experiment with power supplies.

16. colasblue

colasblue pfm Member

TC plus is a total no brainer since it does NAPSC plus something better than the non DR HC (and possibly as good as the HCDR) for a lot less coin, but also consider the DTC used since it facilitates the upgrade path to either 82 or 282 which is a whole different world and will work just like the TC+ on the 202.

There's one in classifieds at present.

17. ryder

ryder pfm Member

My only advice is to try both Teddycap and Naim Hicap and judge for yourself. As usual, in this hobby of hifi, one is not superior than the other. They just sound different and the better sounding one will be largely down to personal preference. If it's the Naim Hicap it needs to be the Hicap DR. FWIW I have tried the Hicap DR and Dual Teddycap (albeit old version, not the latest) on both 202/200 and 282/250DR and prefer the Hicap DR on both setups. I also tried the 202/250 and it did sound better than 202/200. Personally I would suggest sticking with the natural setup ie. 202 to 200 and 282 to 250 instead of mixing them up, even with the 282/200 as the 282/250 is quite a bit better than the 282/200 to my ears. Since you've got the 250DR, as others have pointed out here I think the 282 would be a better choice than the 200.