1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2017 F1 Thread

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony Lockhart, Dec 12, 2016.

1. MartinC

MartinC pfm Member

God what a boring race, fast forwarded through 90% of it. The circuit is in all honesty crap, there is no spark to the sport anymore. Unless Libery Mutual and the FIA can come up with some magic in the next couple of years I think F1 will die a slow death.

2. najb

najb pfm Member

Let it die a quick death

3. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

It was a tedious season and I'm glad it's over. I don't see much chance of next year being any better.

4. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

Don't agree the season was tedious. There was a decent battle for the WDC from VET and the Ferrari up until quite late on. I agree once HAM hit a winning streak and Ferrari self destructed the interest faded but there were some good battles up and down the grid.

No a classic by any means but there have been plenty worse.

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I hope next year’s season is a good one as it will be my last as after that it goes to Murdoch pay per view and I’m certainly not giving that man any money!

6. TPA

TPA Trade: Tiger Paw

2017 had it's moments, but most refreshing was to see the WC fought over by two drivers from 2 different teams, something of a rarity these days. This meant that pit and race strategy was fought out completely as opposed to being defined by whoever had qualified first or reached the first corner ahead.

Abu Dhabi pretty much sums up the sport's issues in terms of the inability of cars to race and compete during a race. DRS not particularly effective, tyre strategies not shaking things up, so a bit of a non event. Very few walls to bring out a safety car either. I'd rather have watched them race reasonably priced cars around the TG test track.

7. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

I know that I'm not alone in enjoying this season, and pretty much all of them over the last thirty five years. But maybe some of us are just weird, because I have enjoyed rallying, hillclimbing, drag racing, rallycross, sprinting, grass track, autocross..... not much overtaking in some of those, just the thrill of the competition.

8. Yank

I think there's some talk of a generic streaming service from f1.com.

US F1 coverage is moving from NBCSN to ESPN next year, and word is that ESPN will not have their own team of announcers, but will import a show from the UK, with no pre-race or post-race coverage. And it won't be the Sky team's show. What's the status of Coulthard's Ch4 F1 coverage for next year?

9. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

From one of the unofficial F1 websites:

"Channel 4 says it will take time to review its options to continue broadcast F1 after 2018, as Sky Sports announced that it has secured the exclusive rights to show grands prix live in the UK and Ireland from 2019-2024."

10. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

So maybe able to get the highlights on channel 4 , not a bad thing as alot of the race can be boring ! as per the last one . Also build up and post race is 10% interest and 90% waffle

11. BilliumB

BilliumB pfm Member

I find the highlight shows too long on C4!

Cheers. Bill

12. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

I find the 'high'lights show awful because there's no editing. They just chop lumps out til it fits the schedule, job done. Very lazy indeed.

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Highlights is fine for me as long as I remember not to check this thread or watch the TV news before watching it! I was most annoyed a couple of weeks ago when I caught the qualifying results on C4 News just before watching the damn thing. I expected no spoilers given they hadn’t broadcasted it yet! It was the one where Hamilton crashed out on Q1 too!

Rack Kit likes this.
  14. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

If there really is no other way to watch F1 live after 2018 without giving that nasty bloke a load of my money each month, I just won't bother with it at all.

I can't be bothered looking at the current pricing to decipher what I'd be spending, but for HD F1 with recording, I'm guessing £45-60/month. No. F*****g. Way.

15. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

The price for sky is scandalous just to watch a season of races when you are not using sky for other things ,its bad enough they nicked the cricket so I certainly will not be paying

16. Cav

Cav pfm Member

You could always go down the pub have a few beers and watch for free on their Sky TV, if you think it is worth watching at all.

17. Yank

Or find one of the illegal streaming sites online that run the Sky, Ch4, or US broadcast...

18. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

I checked for you, £38 pm.

19. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Thanks.

For £450 per year I could maybe get a season ticket for Snett or Brands :)

20. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

I’m with those who’ll find something else to do/watch when Sky get exclusive rights.