1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2019 F1 season.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony Lockhart, Dec 4, 2018.

1. IanW

IanW pfm Member

But as you are not living anywhere near Paul Ricard circuit, you do not have F1 racing at the circuit near you.

So why are you going on about F1, which is in any case one of the quieter forms of motor racing nowadays?

Borntorun and Tony Lockhart like this.
  2. Fudgemaster

Fudgemaster pfm Member

Interesting to hear Prost saying he often used different tyres on his axles at the same time; presume it was fairly common?

3. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

No idea, but he had seven pit stops in the wet at Donington in 1993 while losing to Senna in a spectacular way :)

Rack Kit likes this.
  4. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

To be fair, Senna was driving on level probably not seen since that day. :cool:

5. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Only because a very young girlfriend and me were watching. ;)
    An incredible display of talent. In just a few minutes I went from having an intense dislike for Senna to thinking he was a driving god. Lap after lap, annihilating every other driver.

Rack Kit likes this.
  6. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

I wasn’t a fan either up until that race - it was almost strange watching him make the rest of the field look like amateurs.

Made me see him in a completely different light.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  7. IanW

IanW pfm Member

What do you mean by different tyres on his axles?

The regulations have limited tyres to using the same compounds front and rear for all the time I have worked in F1.

8. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

And @IanW has been in since before slicks were introduced:)

9. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Prost said on Channel 4 that he had previously raced with a mixture of tyres on his car, meaning he raced with a mixture of compounds and/or tyres from different manufacturers. I'm not 100% sure which he meant, possibly something else. But the takeaway message is that he claimed to have raced with tyres that weren't a set per se.

10. IanW

IanW pfm Member

That must have been at least 30 years ago!

11. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

12. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I thought that was a given , considering when he was racing.

He spoke of of putting on a harder compound tyre on whichever corner was wearing faster on specific circuits, etc.

I agree with him that drivers should be more responsible for the decisions RE car set up, getting rid of the bloody radios for a start would make a massive difference IMO. It needs more race craft to make it interesting not tech gimmicks with the cars.

13. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

The trouble is, while I sort of agree, they’re not going to make F1 cars less technical than those in the lower formulae.

Rack Kit likes this.
  14. IanW

IanW pfm Member

Kind of, he last raced in 1993, so 25 years ago.

I am sure that at some stage in F1 that was allowed, but as I said, that was way before my time. And even if you do that it creates another set of problems to deal with.

As Tony has stated, the cars have become too technically complicated to do that. We could make them more automated and then the purists would complain that the drivers have it too easy, or we could go back to how cars were in the 80s.... It is a tough balance to achieve and I am glad that I do not have to make these decisions as there will always be people telling you that you are wrong.

Currently F1 employs a lot of people as it has been extremely well marketed. If you want to watch racing formulae with less technology where the drivers have less help, then go and watch the Boss series (does that still exist) or lower racing formulae or classic car racing. But the public does not seem to be interested in this and so is not a solution for F1.

Rack Kit and Tony Lockhart like this.
  15. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Ref use of radios during the race weekend. I suppose one point worth considering is that radio messages can save an engine, for example. The pit wall detects a problem and advises the driver as necessary. With only three engines (?) per year per driver, no radio comms would be a disaster.

These engines must be doing over two thousand miles each now, @IanW ?

16. matt j

matt j pfm Member

They could have emergency lights on the steering wheel triggered by the pit lane for things like that, I'm not against all communication full stop, but giving out vital information about positions and who has pitted when and who is where on the track etc just removes the other skill of being a racing driver aside from the actual driving.

It wouldn't make it less technical than the other formulas, because I'd make it a blanket rule across them all so F1 was still the pinnacle, if you can't drive from the juniors through all the Formulas without someone in your ear then you aren't going to make it at F1 level.

For all the money and technical prowess, the sport is going backwards IMO.

17. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

They tried it a couple of years ago, and it was very very strange. I suddenly realised how much the comms gave the commentators to talk about.

18. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Then we also need better commentators.

19. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

Then should be made to use mobile phones just like real drivers do

kendo likes this.
  20. IanW

IanW pfm Member

If they did not get the info over the radio then they would look at the big screens on their way around a lap to understand where they were in the race.

Using a radio (which in itself is extremely old tech) just happens to be a safer way of doing it that adds a lot to the show as what they are saying is broadcast and commented on by the commentators. Which, as Tony has already commented on, when it was removed, there were a lot of complaints as it made the race less interesting to watch.

In reality we do not tell the drivers much as it the radios can be heard by all the teams.