1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2019 F1 season.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony Lockhart, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

And now it’s time for a huge confession from me.

I’ve tried. I’ve really tried since Sky etc appeared on the scene to not become a satellite telly customer. The options are painful for me to use, and the costs were starting to mount. Now TV isn’t a cheap way to watch F1, and it’s very limiting in functionality.

Called Sky today, and in just over a week we should have the basic package, plus Sky Sports (only wanted F1 but there’s a deal on, Sports for less than F1) 2Tb Q box and a baby Q box, catch up and Netflix (which I’m paying for already) for £52. Over the cost of Now TV etc it’s not bad.

Something else it’ll sort is our terrible free to air service. No BBC4 HD on Freesat, no C4HD on Freeview, and no Dave HD at all. Fingers crossed we’ve no nasty surprises in store.

cutting42 likes this.
  2. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

No C4HD on Freeview Tony?
    I’ve got it on Ch104 & C4+1HD on Ch109.
    Anyway, that’s just an aside.
    I’ve also resisted the lure of the Murdoch empire, I just don’t like enough tv to pay £50pm. The family are all into the Netflix/ Amazon Prime box-set stuff.
    Apologies for wandering off topic. Enjoy the F1!

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  3. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Hi,
    As a F1, cricket and golf fan Sky Sports is what does it for me.
    So it costs a bit, so does most of our HiFi's if we are honest about it.
    Cheers
    John

4. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

It’s a known problem over here in the depths of Suffolk, and it really caught us out when we moved here from near Newmarket.

5. deebster

deebster pfm Member

Anyone spot the '...more... then' grammatical faux pas in the captions at the start of the race in the C4 highlights yesterday? Grrrrr

Presumably that's the F1 feed not C4?

6. tones

tones Tones deaf

I previously thought that Schumacher's 7 championships and 91 wins could never be surpassed. Suddenly I find that Hamilton is now only 16 wins away from the Schumacher figure. Given the right equipment, he might well do it.

Interesting also to see that Hamilton might one day drive for Ferrari. He admits to being a Ferrari fan, and Toto Wolf understands the desire. After all, Ferrari is the most storied team in F1 history - it has participated in every F1 season since F1 began, and Enzo's passion for racing lives on in his team. Enzo's only reason for building road cars was to get money to go racing, and the reason that broke the Ford-Ferrari sale deal was that Enzo would have lost control of the racing activities of the Scuderia.

7. deebster

deebster pfm Member

Can understand the draw of racing for them but if I were LH I'd (have a lot more cash etc etc but) think twice about it, given the way the team gives orders out to the drivers and IMO seems to be way too reactive after the fact compared to Merc.

I like the Eins, Zwei, Drei Merc way of doing things, or especially the way Toto can always seem to give a balanced explanation of the team's reasons for making a certain call.

8. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

Ferrari do seem to be consistently making poor strategic decisions, but if Binotto is prepared to admit that the SF90 design may be flawed then strategy is the least of their worries.
    Playing catch-up is hard enough but if the car lacks downforce and understeers no matter what, they will surely reach the end of its development potential long before Mercedes do with the W10.
    Given Ferrari's supposed engine advantage, it's already looking like a lost opportunity. LH would be crazy to join them unless Ross Brawn was in charge.....

Incidentally, how many pundits insisted that Lewis was crazy to leave McLaren for Mercedes? :)

Rug Doc likes this.
  9. deebster

deebster pfm Member

Yeah, right now would be an Alonso style move

10. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

The perfect highlights show for those folks who sort of like F1 but can' be arsed watching the whole thing and hate the commentry on Sky and C4.

11. peterm

peterm pfm Member

And I didn't fall asleep once during it!

cutting42 likes this.
  12. tones

tones Tones deaf

Very sad to see how far Williams are off the pace.

13. mand

mand pfm Member

14. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Articles like that need to come with a government health warning... something like: Watching this video will likely lead to an upwelling of strong emotions and, in some cases, damp eyes.

GJO, Rug Doc, cutting42 and 1 other person like this.
  15. IanW

IanW pfm Member

That is a good way of visualising the race.

16. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Here’s a thought.
    We are now in mid-May, and we’ve have five races. We now have the equivalent of what was for many years a whole season left, sixteen races, from here til the 1st December.

And we don’t bat an eyelid. I remember thinking that twenty was too many, and looking at the poor spectator numbers at some races I might be right, but we are at twenty one now and it just seems normal.

There’s certainly no time free for a driver to race a Lotus Cortina around Brands, front inside wheel in the air around Druids!

Steve Taylor likes this.
  17. Steve Taylor

Steve Taylor pfm Member

If Jim Clark had been paid properly he wouldn’t have needed to do that or drive in F2 races, perhaps he’d still be with us.

martin dawson and Tony Lockhart like this.
  18. tones

tones Tones deaf

Not sure that that's true. Clark was so well off that the last year of his life was spent as a tax exile. In addition, it was the expected thing that a driver do a variety of different types of race - F1, F2, Le Mans, Indianapolis, touring cars, even rallying. Fernando Alonso is said to want the unofficial Triple Crown (F1 champion, Le Mans, Indianapolis) done by only one man, Graham Hill. This sounds odd today, but it was just a matter of course back then.

cutting42 likes this.
  19. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

Excellent, this will free up some time on Sundays. How quickly after the race does this appear on YouTube?

20. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

And Zandvoort is official for 2020.