1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2019 F1 season.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony Lockhart, Dec 4, 2018.

1. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

If Vettel had kept his head and pulled over to allow Hamilton pass, then continued to race to try to win back the lead, I think the stewards could have been persuaded to drop the penalty.

For all the money spent on the team Ferrari need to get a first rate sports psych. involved sooner rather than later.

2. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Naaa

Ban sports psychology in F1, ban media savviness.

Let’s see them get all emotional n that.

Maybe have gloves and a ring prepped to sort any grievances.

martin dawson and cutting42 like this.
  3. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disruptor

I wanna see scraps and sabotages too. It might liven it all up a bit, Nascar style.

martin dawson likes this.
  4. Spike

Spike pfm Member

What about chucking tacks on the road...

5. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

I think one way forward would be to allow the team that finishes last in a season and/or part way through a season to have extra testing and/or development options. That would allow a degree of compensation that would only be utilised, my intuition tells me, once or twice (or three times if you're Williams) before they move back up the grid and then another team can avail themselves of said benefit. In other words, let's have a race to the bottom as well as a race to the top!

cutting42 likes this.
  6. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Points available for both the race and the qualifying position. Then races start in reverse qualifying order.

I’d love to see that.

7. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Now that would be very interesting indeed... and very strategised!

Rack Kit likes this.
  8. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

In other words, penalise success?

What’s the point?

9. Joe

Joe pfm Member

They would have to scrap the Monaco Grand Prix for starters. It would be a blood bath under those rules.

10. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

11. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Or Bernie's idea of setting off sprinklers...

12. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

This is close to what happens in MotoGP. The teams with no podium finishers in the previous 3 years get unlimited testing and more lenient engine replacement rules I believe.

This allows teams to catch up without resorting to silly reverse grid antics. Autosport had an article on this very topic in the past week but it was on the paid for section so not available yet

windhoek and sean99 like this.
  13. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Trouble being, testing is extremely expensive, and they’re trying to reduce costs at the moment. Employing another few dozen employees, building test cars, housing them in a warm part of the world for months on end....

14. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

I was surprised that mercedes did not kick up a fuss about Ricciardo as he was dangerous , it was also pointless as Bottas was bound to be able to pass him

15. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Perhaps he’s not the likeable, big smiling guy he seemed.

16. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Is any driver once they’re in the car?

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  17. IanW

IanW pfm Member

Exactly.

There are enough spec formulas which attract small crowds. Moving F1 in that direction by penalising success does not seem like a good idea to me.

18. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Marko is whining again saying that Mercedes must have received advance data about the tyres as they are the only team to design their car to suit the tyres. This despite the fact that the same tyres were run several times last season and that PIrelli told the teams that they would be the tyres for this season a long while ago now. He'd be better to trying to get his team to design a better car than the Merc rather than trying to find a way to blame Merc for just having done a better job than everyone else.

19. IanW

IanW pfm Member

Yes it is all pretty sad really.

Mercedes are also having problems getting their tyres to work, but are better at it than most as they have a car package that is good enough to do that.

20. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

Ferrari will not appeal against the penalty that cost Sebastian Vettel victory in the Canadian Grand Prix.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/48625044

...but Ferrari is believed to be considering challenging the penalty via a different approach - a right to review the incident.