1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2019 F1 season.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony Lockhart, Dec 4, 2018.

1. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disruptor

I think they are still happening, I find highlights a very empty way of engaging with something though. It's like the whole Twatter generations 'want experiences' concept...dip a toe in and out, but without getting in the water and swimming. Real fans want to watch a race, not just the good bits. I love being engrossed for the entire two hours, its hypnotic....although Monaco last year did have me close to a snooze I'll give you that!

2. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

I hope you know what I mean!
    I’m frustrated too. Snetterton is flat and boring, Brands the other side of the Dartford crossing. I think I’ll be at Santa Pod again this year.
    Rockingham near Corby closed in November.
    Motorsports venues and air shows, gradually dying out.

3. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Hi,

Yes I would agree it is affordable to me, I have a similar outlook on what I spend money on.

When I hear people say that they cannot afford something like the F1 then as Tony rightly points out they can always watch highlights on C4, it may not be live, but it is there to watch.

Of course you can buy a VPN, that's around £100 a year, interesting that.

Cheers

John

4. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

If the editing for the highlights was up to a good standard it’d be watchable. It’s not, so it’s bloody awful.

5. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Hi Tony,

Yes I do know what you meant :), it's Sunday, and no F1 until next weekend.

Cheers

John

6. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disruptor

£2 a month for Nord VPN.

The highlights are ok, but its really not the same for an actual race fan. Its like going to the track and then watching it on television in the bar, so close but still so far.

I actually like the Channel 4 coverage and presenting team though, SO MUCH better to watch than the Sky riffraff!

It has still cost me the £200 as I bought it for my dad as well, so we will both be watching, just hoping their wont be another 25% increase next year.

7. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

8. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disruptor

9. Darmok

Darmok "A Priori Teleology."

I agree but he does bring insider info to the table.

As does our own Ian W occasionally of this Manor, without the nads! :)

10. nobeone

nobeone pfm Member

Agreed, I avoid watching Eddie Jordan by skipping over every section he takes part in, if they keep him out of the commentary box and leave him being a berk in the pit lane and hopefully only take him to as few GP as possible I can cope, but only just. If she knew Sky have Jensen the wife will want a Sky subscription ... best not tell her.

11. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disruptor

and keep him as far away from Top Gear as possible.

12. tones

tones Tones deaf

Thankfully true of Switzerland, also with quite a good commentary (in German). And if I want, it's also available on the German/Austrian channels.

13. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

The BBC has more info on this year's terrestrial TV coverage and I'm pleased to say DC and Co. will still be at the helm for Channel 4's F1 coverage - I was afraid that SKY would oblige Channel 4 to show highlights of their own coverage (I'm not a fan of SKY's coverage/presenting team). I'm also pleased to say there's no mention of Eddie Jordan, but that's no guarantee he won't find his way onto the show somehow or another, so we'll just have to wait and see, or not see, as the case may be - fingers crossed!

Looking at the restrictions, I think the new arrangement could be a blessing in disguise as it looks like we'll get more wheat and less chaff. I'll miss Karun Chandhok, though - he was like a wee toy tiger with endless enthusiasm. Still, at least we're getting decent coverage this year - there's no telling what it'll be like in the future not to mention how much it will cost.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47542802

14. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Well, for better or for worse, I’ll be getting a Sky Go login before the weekend. All I need do is buy the guy a pint every now and then. So I get to see the races live, and share a drink with someone!
    I might try 5 Live commentary instead of Sky’s though.

15. Copperjacket

Copperjacket pfm Member

I am certainly going to miss the live coverage, including the Friday Practice Sessions however my problem is that there is nothing else on Sky that I want: No Films; No Rugby; No Golf; No Football; No Cricket = No subscription.
    I am intrigued by the idea of using a VPN - if possible can anyone point me in the right direction please?

16. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

A couple of friends use Helixhosting, but I gave up. They do a one euro 48hr trial, bit I just could not see what to do.

17. IanW

IanW pfm Member

I try! FrankF1 is also of this manor and gives insider info from time to time.

Darmok likes this.
  18. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

The C4 highlights might well be much, much worse than before. This from the Beeb:

"For example, only 50% of the total running time of C4's programme can now be taken up by the on-track coverage - down from between 60-70% last year. They are not allowed to do interviews in what is known as the 'pen' - where all the drivers are taken to do a round-robin of broadcasters after qualifying and race - or in the pit lane. Any 'pen' interviews they use will have to come from Sky. The amount of interviews C4 can do in the paddock is restricted. And they have been forbidden from doing a 'grid walk'.

None of these restrictions apply to the live British Grand Prix."

That looks vindictive to me.

19. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Cricket part 2. Lots of people only watched it because it was free, I suspect lots will not bother following it this year.

20. peterm

peterm pfm Member

I've followed F1 since the early 60s and used to be glued to the tv for every race (and Le Mans too when BBC covered that).

I resent Sky using subscribers' money to buy up rights to sports and then denying those sports to any non-Sky users, I will therefore never buy into Sky!

As for F1 today, I'm losing interest at such a rate that I wouldn't spend a penny on pay to view races.

Last year, and I think it was on a live race rather than highlights, I fell asleep in the middle of a Grand Prix, in the afternoon!

As to F1 appealing to new viewers, if they're turning off long lasting fans like me, where do they expect to get their audience from in the future?

Copperjacket likes this.