1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The BBC reports on Brexit and the Future of "Vinyl"

Discussion in 'off topic' started by mercalia, Jun 6, 2018.

1. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

"The shop owner and customers
    Record shop owners have told Newsbeat they are worried about vinyl getting more expensive for customers.

DJ and producer Jason Wynters has just opened a shop in Birmingham called Cafe Artum and he says it's something he is thinking about.

"It will have some cost implications," he tells us."

more expensive than now, pull the other one

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44202942

2. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Given that for much of the fifties an LP was pretty much £2 (39/6) and petrol was about 4/6 a gallon, now petrol is circa £6 how expensive is an LP now?

3. Mick P

Mick P Retired and content

The Hifi and music industry has always been a bit of a rip off. Today we are all enjoying music for a fraction of the cost because there is a surplus of very useable second hand hardware and software on the market. Brexit is not going to have any effect at all and brand new stuff probably represents a very small percentage of what most of us buy.

I just wish the current situation existed thirty years ago, the simple truth is that with piles of stuff around, prices are going just one way and that is downwards unless you want the really collectible stuff which in all fairness is in the hands of the nerdy market.

Regards

Mick

4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yes, music is dirt cheap at the moment. I remember paying about £1.50 for a single in the 80's when a gallon of petrol was £1 and a pint about 70-80p. LPs were about a fiver IIRC. So if LPs kept up with petrol they should now be £30, and cf. beer £25 per LP. CDs come in under £10 all day, that's before you start with Spotify or downloads. I haven't bought a new release vinyl LP for a while but I bet they are generally less than £25.

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

You are viewing it through the blinkers of an old out-of-touch person who understands little about today’s music scene. The music industry is obviously far more concerned about the new and current. If Brexit impacts record production it impacts the current crop of artists, and given the amount of GDP the UK music scene generates both directly and via support industries that is an issue for us all.

The bottom line is the Conservatives have wrecked the national economy for the foreseeable future with their idiotic Brexit debacle. All UK industry will be hit by this stupidity and it will impact everyone’s prosperity for a very long time. The music industry is just one of many that will suffer from supply and manufacturing issues.

6. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

I bought Sgt. Pepper remastered for £29.00 last year. In 1967 it cost 32/6.
    My friend John and I bought it between us, as neither of us could afford to splash out over
    thirty bob for an LP !

7. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Which one of you got the "B" side?

Mike Reed likes this.
  8. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

This ^^^

If I meet one more stupid person who tells me Brexit has had no real impact only for me to explain to the dolt that it hasn't happened yet I'll scream. It is going to have a massively detrimental impact to just about all business in the UK and those who work in it and we had better get used to the idea.... Theresa May has made a bad decision by the public all the worse for her government's appalling handling of the execution of said decision and the opposition are a joke!

es.klopfte, tuga, agnes and 3 others like this.
  9. OscillateWildly

OscillateWildly Active Member

It's okay the pigheaded EU don't need the UK, they are making a fine mess of things on their own.

naimplayer likes this.
  10. tuga

tuga European

Everything will be more expensive after Brexit...

Sibbers likes this.
  11. Sibbers

Sibbers pfm Member

Yep. It’s going to be more expensive to go it alone. That’s the price we pay. Whether or not you think it’s worth it is a different thing altogether.

tuga likes this.
  12. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

I don't recall the side of the brexit bus saying that.

Sibbers and Emlin like this.
  13. tuga

tuga European

Well, labour will probably be cheaper... I mean, workers will get paid less and have less rights.

Most Brexiteers ignore what the EU has done for us in terms of health and safety (food, consumer goods, transportation, etc.), education, environment, consumer rights, labour rights.
    They probably think that it all came from the brilliant minds of their Governments and CS which may have touted it has their own doing.

irons1965 and Emlin like this.
  14. rich46

rich46 quad rules

popcock. in 1974 the common market ,that's want we voted for.spain and Italy will crash the eu, Greece is on the verge to . Its a failed idea .visit these countries most of them want their county back.How leaving as been a total blue shambles too.

Big Tabs likes this.
  15. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

Wow! Where does one start?

Apparently, popcock is a word. Don't Google it or you will know. You don't want to. Would that I could unread the definition.

Rob998 and Still like this.
  16. chris shorter

chris shorter pfm Member

Hear! Hear!

Chris

17. agnes

agnes Agnes

It's turned into a great thread about brexit. Even if vinyl prices remain the same we will all have less money, so records will be more expensive.

kendo and tuga like this.
  18. Still

Still beware of the duck

You won, get over it.
    Meanwhile in Europe: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44196835

19. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Sure is, but it doesn't appear in my New O.E.D. so it's either fantasy or a recent addition or something very obscure or technical. Poppycock is a bit like shuttlecock only louder and rubbish.:).

20. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

I hope it never will!!