1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Beatles (White Album) Remaster

Discussion in 'music' started by Sgt pepper, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

As i said in the forthcoming vinyl releases thread, Paul McCartney has confirmed the White Album has been remastered and is almost complete.

ian r likes this.
  2. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

Anyone interested? o_O

3. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Not my favourite Beatles’ album.
    I stopped buying their albums after Sgt. Pepper.
    My favourite album is ‘A Hard Day’s Night.’

4. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

I just thought this announcement would have created a bigger buzz on the forums...

5. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

Why, was it that poorly mastered in the first place? On top of that the tapes are getting on a bit as are Macca's ears.

6. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

I thought the 2009 remasters were pretty good - didn't know Macca was still playing around with them. Presumably it's 'just' a remaster and not a remix like last year's curate's egg that was the 50th anniversary release of Pepper?

Mick

7. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Is this a light touch remix by Martin fils, a la Sgt Pepper? Or a near flat transfer with little or no compression?
    Or yet another tweaked load of bollox at the mastering stage?

8. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

I am not sure if it's an excellent remix like Pepper or a remaster either way it's gonna be fantastic I bet.

ian r likes this.
  9. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

The tapes don't suffer degradation if taken care of which they were, I think Macca at 76 is doing OK don't you?

10. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

I believe Giles is again at the helm which is great news.

ian r likes this.
  11. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Good...looking forward to hearing it.

ian r likes this.
  12. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

I find it a little strange that this release has not gained much excitement or positive reaction on here? :confused:

13. thedanfan

thedanfan pfm Member

Number nine, Number nine, Number nine, Number nine, Number nine - ruins the whole album for me.

14. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

In which way, that is one track among some of the best songs ever written.

15. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

Maybe people are suffering a bit of Beatles re-issue fatigue. 2009 digital remaster, Mono box, stereo box, all albums from both boxes available individually , DeAgostini series... All within the last 10 years. How much more milk can be extracted?

Snufkin and GJO like this.
  16. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

But this is only the second album that is getting a makeover with I believe unreleased material included in much the same way as Pepper., with people like Giles, and Miles Showell on board giving us what I have no doubt will be the White Album sounding better than ever before.
    Any Beatles fan or anyone interested in music surely should be exited by that?

ian r likes this.
  17. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

I love the Beatles more than is sensible but I think the endless remastering is getting silly. I already have 4 different versions of the White Album (2 vinyl, 2 CD) and a bootleg box of hours of White Album session tapes, and doubt I'll bother with yet another remaster. I wasn't particularly taken with the last Sgt Pepper remaster/remix either. It's fiddling for the sake of newness, and adds very little to the music.

Tarzan likes this.
  18. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

I will be interested when it is released. It also needs to sound good and not overpriced... Let me know when there is a deffo release date.

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’ve got the Mono Box on CD, the 1990s I think numbered limited edition stereo CD (so I have both proper mixes) and most significantly Rutherford Chang’s vinyl version that stacks 100 beat-up vinyl copies (link). That is a great racket! I’d love a mint ‘60s original, but I can’t see that happening, and I’ve no interest at all in Giles Martin remixing it. I’m just not a fan of rewriting history.

20. sideshowbob

sideshowbob 47 Lab Rat

That 90s numbered CD is easily the best stereo digital version I think. I much preferred it to the 2009 digital remaster.