1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Beatles (White Album) Remaster

Discussion in 'music' started by Sgt pepper, Jun 21, 2018.

1. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

I’m massively excited by this. Having the excellent Esher demos on an official release is much appreciated.

Sgt pepper likes this.
  2. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

I'm interested for sure but I'm not interested at the current prices.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan pfm Member

Which box is that? Sounds interesting!

4. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Volume 12 of Dylan's Bootleg series was 'The Cutting Edge' which covered previously officially unreleased recordings from the studio sessions convened for Bringing it all Back Home, Highway 61 & Blonde on Blonde.

It comes in 3 flavours on CD, 2 disc, 6 disc and 18 disc (not 16 - my mistake). The 18 disc set contains every fragment of music from the studio sessions of this period in sequential order. It's a pretty amazing document if, like me, you reckon Dylan was on a bit of a roll around then. The best bits have been floating around on bootlegs for a while, but it's great to have them in pristine fidelity at last - especially the galloping early takes of Visions of Johanna. I suspect the 6 disc set has most of the best bits covered, though.

Zepfan likes this.
  5. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

The CD devoted to how Like A Rolling Stone evolved from first idea to final track is fascinating - even if it's not something you're going to listen to ever week. The whole bootleg series has been excellent - it even made me look at Self Portrait in a different light.

Zepfan likes this.
  6. Zepfan

Zepfan pfm Member

Thanks guys. Sounds like a must-buy.

7. foxwelljsly

Yeah, and that's in the 6 disc set. I'm in the process of digitally cataloguing the 18 disc set by session rather than disc - the same is possible from the copyright busting '63 set for the Freewheelin' (which, incidentally, is also an absolute revelation).

Anyway, all OT for a White album thread.

8. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Good posting, could not have put it better myself.

9. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

Have you heard it yet, are you a Beatles fan, have you heard the Esher Demos or the rest of the tracks included?

10. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

No, to be honest l do not want to either and yes l am a huge Beatles fan however the man is rinsing us over and over.:(

Same with Pink Floyd as well....:( just my thoughts.

:)

11. Sgt pepper

Sgt pepper pfm Member

I am not sure if he is rinsing (Sgt Pepper was stunning) us if he is releasing material that has never been officialy released before, I mean after all we have a choice and for me it's a no brainer.

12. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

I bought the 2009? stereo reissued LPs of The Beatles, Sergeant Pepper and Revolver. So far I've not even played the White album right through! It's then that I realise I've been hearing the Beatles music for more than 50 years and I don't think I care now if I ever hear them again...
    (I may relent and acquire this edition just to try it but it has (like most of their music) been the victim of over exposure to the nth degree IMO.)

Snufkin likes this.
  13. Sich

Sich pfm Member

I've now heard all the discs on the basic cd release.
    So much better than the Sgt. Peppers remaster to me.

Savoy Truffle, Helter Skelter, Revolution 1 are some of the biggest winners but it all sounds much better than my previous copy.

Would love to hear how they'd do with Abbey Road.

14. Colonel_Mad

Colonel_Mad pfm Member

Abbey Road sounds fantastic already. For me their best one SQ-wise (....and music-wise having said that, but I know I'm pretty much alone there).

The intro bars of Come Together sound sublime.

15. Sich

Sich pfm Member

You're not alone ;) and yes it does but....

16. ian r

ian r 401's Nakman

so you never tripped to it...at a guess.

Im not sure I believe the zmanson crappola about it either. Its not my favourite but this is one mighty album which i still have a good vinyl and the 2000 rips on digital.... they were convenient but I hardly thought any difference to vinyl

Im very happy if the Martin McCartneys have breathed on it... tis probably the fate of original sources of such significant music into a very far future,

hopefully anyway

17. foxwelljsly

Got this in the end. Pristine Esher demos through the Quads are a ****ing revelation. Like having them sat strumming away in my living room. Worth the price of admission alone.

ian r likes this.