1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The Best Albums of All Time

Discussion in 'music' started by Peter McDermott, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Peter McDermott

Peter McDermott pfm Member

2. Ian M

Ian M pfm Member

Got half way and gave up!

3. happy_chappie

happy_chappie Active Member

Nine years out of date, but I can’t think of much decent since then.

4. Borntorun

Borntorun pfm Member

Truly shocking selection in the top ten. Lost all interest in reading backwards after that.

5. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I never bothered

6. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

7. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

What was the top 10? I'm guessing the number 1 slot is taken by Bob Dylan?

8. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Sgt Pepper was number one, with Pet Sounds number two. The rest of the top ten was mostly Beatles/Dylan, with the Clash included to show that Rolling Stone was still down wid da yoof.

9. Peter McDermott

Peter McDermott pfm Member

Agree with many of the comments above but these big lists can still bring to light albums you've missed or ignored which might well be worth a listen. I have a copy of Al Green's Let's Stay Together but never got around to hearing I'm Still In Love With You.

10. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I don't have a problem with The Beatles being number 1, you could argue over the album choice. Don't think the Clash should be anywhere near but that is just personal taste. Randy Newman never seems to fair as well as other solo notables which I find baffling as I find him far more interesting & talented than Dylan.

11. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Excellent point. The lower reaches of such lists are always more interesting.

12. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Not in this case!

13. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

You know what, whilst there's a lack of metal and electronica albums in there, I thought it was a nicely balanced list.

14. Colonel_Mad

Colonel_Mad pfm Member

EDIT **POST DELETED**

I take it back. I'd read the top 100 wrong way round (No. 100 is listed as 1/100).

Still...... A Grand Don't Come For Free should not be anywhere near Sgt. Pepper in any list.

15. BB Wan

BB Wan pfm Member

Couldn't agree more and I actually don't dislike The Streets

Also, the Rolling Stone website is absolutely terrible, takes forever to load!

Colonel_Mad likes this.
  16. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Apart from it being from 2012, highest Radiohead entry at 67 = GTFO.

17. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I don't really understand these lists. They're always 90% rock music with a couple of obvious jazz choices (Kind Of Blue and Love Supreme) plus Bob Marley and Public Enemy.

18. Engels

Engels pfm Member

DSOTM only at 43 !!!
    And I reckon Thriller might be dropping a few places

19. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

So it has a US bias

20. martin dawson

martin dawson pfm Member

For me Love - Forever Changes

Regards,

Martin