1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The best sounding piece of kit you've ever owned (or enjoyed the most)

Discussion in 'audio' started by Darren L, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Enfield boy

Enfield boy pfm Member

That was helpful.

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Are you using that with Hugo 2 as opposed to Hugo TT2? Would be interested in your SQ and functionality impressions-also did they supply a BNC to stereo mini jack cable?

3. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

It’s a contextual viewpoint Steve. Would you consider it more ‘helpful’ if I listed a few pieces of random gear from the last forty years..... .. . ?

4. echann

echann pfm Member

I’m using the M Scaler with Hugo 2 and the supplied BNC cables, BNC to RCA adapters plugged into an Audioquest RCA to mini coax adaptor into the Hugo 2. Sounds great so far! I find the Hugo a bit on the cool side and the amp not as good as the DAC so I use an ALO CDM (valve) as an amp. Although it’s a bit of a rats nest of cables and boxes I’m finding this setup really enjoyable.

I’ve only had the M Scaler 5 minutes so haven’t plugged it into my speaker system yet. Something to look forward to.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    TheDecameron likes this.
  5. Jonboi

Jonboi Because Music Matters

LOL. I have an aversion to rabbit holes, as they tend to be inhabited by Alice in Wonderland audiophile types.

I think most people who have contributed have answered the OP's question quite well as regards "The best sounding piece of kit you've ever owned (or enjoyed the most)" Certainly I've quite enjoyed reading some of the responses.

Given that in the largely subjectivist audiophile hobbyist world, there isn't really any provable "best" of anything, I'm not sure what else one might expect by way of comments.

Cheers

6. RustyB

RustyB Registered Ginga

Harman Kardon 7625: cost less than $50, replaced the original Exposure CDP, haven't felt the need to change for years. Multiple Burr Brown DACs, first order analogue filtering produces a fast and free performance. Re-capping the audio board removed some thinness.

Rega RB 250: with the usual mods (re-wire and counterweight),this budget arm, on a Xerxes, just sang, preferred to the Tabrizzi on that Xerxes, and SME IV on previous Xerxes. VFM? You bet.

Croft Super Micro: Yes, it's basic, but you can't fault the build quality, or the performance for the pittance they cost.

Arcam Alpha 5/5+: If timing is important to you, but you don't want to fork out for a Naim CDP, this is your player. Modders' delight.

Pioneer PL 71: If timing is important to you, but you don't want to fork out for an LP12 or a Xerxes, this is your turntable. Re-wiring the tonearm recommended.

Mission 753/F: Picking up one of these should alert you to the reality that these speakers are not your typical budget box (22 kg). One of those rare speakers that just cut to the chase, maximum engagement. Both need some tweaking of the tweeter level, but well worth it.

Audiolab 8000Q: poke around inside one of these and appreciate the smarts of the original Audiolab team. Switchable gain so sensible, J-fet's for a sweet sound, great build and a joy to use.

Thiel CS 3.5: Unusual design, for Thiel or anybody, using a 10 inch low-Q Vifa bass unit in a sealed and massively braced enclosure, electronically EQ'd to be flat to 20 Hz. Bass to die for: extension, pitch, start-stop, you name it. Think your Briks have good bass? Well, they do, but...The rest of the bandwidth worked nicely too, courtesy of a Scanspeak mid and Dynaudio D28.

7. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

The initial idea was a thread in complete opposition the 'the worst kit' thread, as I'm a glass half full person, I'd much rather read of positive as opposed to negative experiences, after writing the title I realised there is no 'best' kit hence adding 'you've enjoyed the most'

darrenyeats and radamel like this.
  8. Fretbuzz

Fretbuzz pfm Member

... Actually without doubt the single best purchase I've made in terms of enjoying music at home is... A detached house. The sense of liberation coming from a thin-walled semi was extraordinary :).

9. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

Several pieces, all on the VFM side:

Yamaha CT 1010
    Rotel 965BX
    Pi and IQaudio Dac hat
    Clearaudio Emotion
    Cambridge 100 Dacmagic

10. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

+1
    Better than Auralic Vega, Aurender server and a £1700 cable!

Del monaco likes this.
  11. realysm42

realysm42 reMember

When I’m back in England I hope to add my
    Listening room to this list.

12. Theo

Theo pfm Member

I take great satisfaction from the majority of my current system:
    - Trio L-07D turntable
    - Esoteric UX-1 Universal CDP
    - Exposure MCX pre-amp
    - 4 x Exposure XVI mono amps
    - Jamo R909 dipoles

In the past, I've loved the Neat MF7s, and wished there was a way to accommodate two sets of large speakers in my room. I liked my Naim CDS1 too: probably not the best CDP, but it was always enjoyable.

darrenyeats likes this.
  13. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

Have tried it against an Aurender. Buggered if I could hear any discernible difference. Maybe I’m just too cynical. Aurender looks very nice though. Also my history is entrenched in this kind of stuff having grown up in a CA sense with Squeezebox, Vortexbox etc. So maybe I’ve become biased towards this kind of stuff. Whatever, I’m completely satisfied and somewhat smug about what I’ve achieved for a few squid. I also enjoy assembling this stuff with my somewhat Noob status. The feeling of building this yourself has its own satisfaction.

14. dreamer69

dreamer69 Member

Ae1 originals. 30 years and still stunning

RustyB and Shane2468 like this.
  15. zekezebra

zekezebra pfm Member

My first system was a miss-match of well reviewed components until I finally arrived at Linn LP12, Ittok, Troika with Naim 42.5/110 and Proac Super Tablettes. This was a system I could/should have lived with forever but of course I didn't and never recovered that magic until now with the Dutch & Dutch 8c's.

16. topoxforddoc

topoxforddoc pfm Member

Source: Studer A820 1/2 inch or Sony APR 5003 1/4 inch R2R (own both)

Speakers: Avantgarde Duos (own) - Cessaro Liszt (heard elsewhere)

Electronics: TRON Nemesis preamp (heard elsewhere)

17. rassy

rassy New Member

It may not be “audiophile” in the conventional sense, but a Carroll & Meynell 3kW isolation transformer has made the most significant difference to my system.
    To use the old cliche, the background is “blacker” and the music stands out.
    (Very much cheaper than “hi-fi” versions).
    Haven’t tried mains regeneration, though, (very expensive too).

Snufkin likes this.
  18. Zombie

Zombie pfm Member

Revox A77 MkIV/Nak CD1/LP12-Ittok-Troika/Quad Elite CDP
    Quad Elite pre
    Quad 909
    ESL988
    Only other stuff I'd like to have would be a pair of NS1000 with locally modded filters.

19. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

Transcendent Sound preamp.
    Jolida Music Envoys.
    IMF TLS80 mkII.

Mike P likes this.
  20. John_73

John_73 pfm Member

In terms of enjoyed the most, the Quad 22 and Quad IIs. Sounded rather good too of course!

Shane2468 likes this.