1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Discussion in 'classical' started by TheDecameron, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Todd A

Todd A pfm Member

[​IMG]

Disc 9, D960. In memoriam.

2. Todd A

Todd A pfm Member

[​IMG]

Second listen to disc one. Light, crisp, classical playing from all involved. Schnyder throws in some nice personal touches without going overboard. The real draw, though, is the instrument: the century old Bechstein sounds marvelous. Perfectly balanced, with ravishing, at times shimmering highs, with unique and arresting sustain characteristics. It sounds magnificent through all solid state stuff, but put it through some high distortion 1950s & 1970s era tubes in a headphone amp and listen through cans, and it's an aural treat one doesn't want to end.

Amazon UK link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-...eywords=OLIVER+SCHNYDER&qid=1569682243&sr=8-7

3. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

narabdela likes this.
  4. BrianPK

BrianPK pfm Member

I haven’t listened to any sacred music for the past few months and while listening to this I can’t figure out why not.Mozart’s Dominicus Mass is simply magnificent and almost beyond belief that a 13 year old could compose such a masterpiece...just glorious to listen to.
    As it’s so late into the night,I don’t want to wake up the house,but in the morning I’ll clear the room,lock the door, close the windows and then let it thunder out in all it’s glory and do justice to this fabulous recording.

https://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Domin...mozart+mass+emi&qid=1569972442&s=music&sr=1-7
    [​IMG]

5. Electrostat

Electrostat Active Member

The Op. 77 quartets.

[​IMG]

BrianPK likes this.
  6. BrianPK

BrianPK pfm Member

Electrostat likes this.
  7. Electrostat

8. Electrostat

The two Op. 27 sonatas from my favorite Beethoven sonata cycle (Andrea Lucchesini)

[​IMG]

9. herb

herb music live

10. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

herb likes this.
  11. Electrostat

Making my way through a third listen of this cycle of Shostakovich String Quartets, superb performances from Quatuor Danel.

[​IMG]

12. mjw

mjw pfm Member

Debussy piano (specifically the preludes). I seem never to tire of it all.

13. Electrostat

I've been listening to Bax's symphonies from this box:

[​IMG]

14. BrianPK

BrianPK pfm Member

H’mm...this is my second listening session with Stravinsky’s sacred music and so far I’m struggling to like it...very thin and sparse compositions to my ears and nothing like the richness of Tchaikovsky’s Russian Orthodox masterpiece Liturgy of St.John Chrysostum,which in my ignorance I imagined it would be.But the other purchasers who reviewed it seem to love it.
    Very disappointing so far as I really do like his orchestral pieces but I’ll persist.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000I2IUSO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[​IMG]

15. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

Tonight it will be Paul Lewis on Radio3 playing the Diabelli Variations - I'd prefer a more intimate setting than the RFH but hey-ho it is arguably LvB's greatest.

16. herb

herb music live

17. gingermrkettle

gingermrkettle Deep vein trombonist

As good as some of the reviews? I am really enjoying the Lloyd-Jones recordings I have picked up so if those are a step up they will be finding their way here.

18. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Mahler's 5th... Abbado & Lucerne Festival Orchestra.

No.... Still don't like it. I find it very difficult to get to the end of the 2nd movement without switching off, because I'm thinking I've heard all this before, recently. In fact just 10 minutes ago during the first movement.

Luckily 3rd movement is one of Mahler's best movements. But the rondo finale goes round and round just a few times too often.

This could be a great symphony if either of the first two movements had been discarded and the finale compressed.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  19. Electrostat

This was my introduction to Bax, so I can't offer any useful impressions.

20. Electrostat

From the New Music String Quartet Sony box:

[​IMG]